• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hey Dune Guys

need4speedjp

NAXJA Forum User
ok i will be heading up to the Silver Lake Dunes, and i am wondering what kinda pressure you run. i got a 92 laredo, RE 3.5 , 32x11.5 Geolanders "not my first choice for sand but I gottem cheap" 4.0 auto.....blah blah blah
no bead locks

what width wheels?

i run 6 in the rocks, 3-4 in the sand/snow. even with 12.50s on 10" wide wheels I've never lost a bead. my experience seems to be the exception though.

10 is a safe bet, go lower if you're willing to experiment and possibly re-seat some beads.

I have Goodyear MTR's 32x11.5. First day out I ran 12ish and had troubles getting around, watched a wrangler walk up a hill I couldn't race up... finally tracked him down and asked his air, he said 6 or less.

I did the exact same hill at 6 in rear and 9 in front EASILY. I never would have thought that it would have made any difference, but it did.

Just be careful not to turn real sharp, I was afraid to blow a bead, but never have yet... I do carry a CO2 tank so I was not real concerned...

Don't drive around a bunch on the roads that low.

Here are some pics from one of the trips.
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBMmLJy4atXig

Have a good time! And don't forget to get your vouchers.

With 8" wide rims 5-6 lbs, but with 10" rims probably 7-8 lbs, or just be careful turning hard.

I start at 12psi and go down from there. I run 31-10.50's on 15/7,s, silver lk is weird sometimes you need to air way down and other times your fine a 12psi, depends on the weather. I don't like runnint any less than 7psi.

Moisture and temp plays big havoc sometimes. Stop at AppleTree or the Citgo in the Triangle and get a low pressure gauge that you can trust. Most regular gauges do not measure accuratly at this pressure.

Plus when each line on the gauge is 5 PSI how to tell the differnace between 6 PSI and 7 PSI

If the sand is wet and firm then you should be running a bit firmer start at say 8-12 PSI and drop it as needed.

Hot and dry loose sand should be much lower... I would start about 6-8 and drop it from there as needed and comfortable. Keeping in mind that the air comes out much more conviently than it goes in.

I had 13.50 Mickey T's on 12 inch rims that I would run at 3 PSI...I also had to check them regulary through out the day to make sure that as TEMPS went up my tire pressure did not go up. I would notice that I started at 3-4 PSI and by the heat of the day it would be back up to 7-8 PSI. While I never lost a bead. I also was very careful not to side load the tires by NOT doing doughnuts...

If the morning is cool and you air down to say 4 PSI and by 3 PM the sun is out and it is 40-50 degrees warmer out then when you aired down you may be back to 7-8 PSI and not the 4 PSI that you started out at.

The same works in reverse... 90+ degrees and you are down to 4 PSI and running everywhere you want... its cool... When the tires and the air in them cool down your pressure will drop....At 4 PSI there is not much room to drop before you are rim riding.

Oh Yea don't forget to have some Fun.... and Post back some Pix.

Hey Red97XJ, where are the pictures of my TJ? You bum, you left those out.

I'd start at 12 and see what you think about that. I have some Bald 31x13.50 TSL SX's ill sell you for next to nothing. Run those at 15 pounds, and you will literally go anywhere....except maybe the mud pit. They just float.

Back