• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

herculine instead of paint

offroadxj07

NAXJA Forum User
So right now Im looking for a real cheap cherokee since I already have two other cars... Ive got 2k saved up... and I was thinking buying a crappy cherokee with a like 5 inch lift and tires... and since Im guessing the paint would be horrible just herculine the whole thing... has anyone seen this done? how did it look? And also... I should put this in the tech portion but how much do the parts usually cost to rebuild a 4.0L. I plan on doing all the work myself but I was guessing around like 500 for parts?

jimbob said:
i have had my 87 xj bedlined with scorpian liner for over a year now and i love it , i took it through the woods the second day i got it back and i never would have with a new paint job i have pics on yahoo photos, http://photos.yahoo.com/[email protected] im not sure if the link will work.

The site brought up some pictures of dogs and stuff but I didnt see any of a cherokee... I think I may have to do that... I know on my last cherokee I herculined the rocker panels at the bottom myself and it turned out pretty sweet... cost like 40 bucks for the huge jug thing and I barely used any so I was thinking like 3 or 4 jugs should be enough... And looks isnt really that big.. but id rather have that then fading clearcoat. Now I just need to work on finding a xj in the area for less then like 2000 bucks with lift and tires included

I did a CJ5 I have. If you search you will find tons of threads about herc'ing the inside and outsides of cherokees.
Personally I would not do it again, as it was a pain, is expensive to touch up, and doesnt clean very well. But thats just me.

Starboard M said:
I did a CJ5 I have. If you search you will find tons of threads about herc'ing the inside and outsides of cherokees.
Personally I would not do it again, as it was a pain, is expensive to touch up, and doesnt clean very well. But thats just me.

Well did you do it yourself? I couldnt see it as being much to do myself... Came out well for the rocker panel area of my old xj... but I did notice after about 4 months the paint would start bleeding thru... I dont have the money for a paint job... mainly on something that I plan on beating up pretty bad... If I can find a cherokee with nice paint a lift and tires for under 2k Ill keep the paint on... but im just guessing Ill end up with one that I will have to rebuild the engine and possibly do something about the paint

Back