• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with info on the 136 amp Durango Alternator install

fourplayoffroad said:
so if that wont work for my 87 do you know what will?

You use a Delco CS-130 - and upgraded units in that series are easy to find. If you can't find a local shop to help you, click the link in my sig to find out about the shop I use - he's done damned good work for me for the last dozen years or so, and I finally talked him into doing mail-order. If he does enough, I can talk him into doing other things as well (like trying to give Mean Green some competition on a small scale...)

Wiring is simple - check it out while you're on my site. Yes, you'll need to upgrade - even with AMC, wiring is "just enough" for the OEM applications (there a bit larger margin with AMC-era rigs than with ChryCo, but you still will need to upgrade the wiring and update the fusible link wire with something larger.)

ehall said:
http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2004/jeepalt/ provides a pretty good intro but doesn't describe everything that's needed. The installation is pretty tedious and takes the better part of a day.

The old and new alternators are close to the same dimensions but if you look at the brackets you'll see that the alternator rubs on both the front and rear brackets in the center span. You will need to use a grinder to cut down the center spans of the brackets so that they bolt up flush again.

I did this mod a couple of years ago on my 91 MJ to replace my stock 90A alt using the 1992-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee version of this alternator. Kept the 7-groove pulley on too. I did not have to grind anything for fitment, except Dremel out the bakelite cup connector on the output stud to accept a larger terminal. It was a bear getting it up in there though, but everything cleared and fit fine.

I did some searching... I'm bumping this old thread form 2008. The pictures of the grinded brackets are exactly what I was looking for. Including the engine block clean up. Good stuff.

I just got done swapping the 136 amp alt. in which went well but I had a question on if I would upgrade the main feed wire from the alternator what size fuse should I put in there?
Thanks

The OEM cabling system is made with rather low quality cable of the absolute minimal gauge. In the case of an alternator upgrade, it's akin to connecting a garden hose to a fire hydrant, except you just upgraded to a larger hydrant.

There are a number of vendors that sell a pre-terminated, high quality cabling kits. It's a mix of gauge 0 and gauge 2 cables, going to and from the battery, including the alternator cables. Once fitted, your electrical system can actually take advantage of a larger alternator. I would also recommend upgrading the tiny engine ground strap (firewall side) to a larger one...

Back