• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP PLZ!!! 89 XJ

dont forget to check the flux capasitor!!! i cant seem to keep the damn thing filled up, but i heard blue buble level fluid works great as a stop-leak.

TPS is adjusted... I still feel it is the Crank position sensor... I picked one up tonight and pulled the jeep in the garage to replace the CPS.. but I CANT get at it from the top or the bottom.. HOW DO I GET TO IT??

Did you test the CPS with your new multimeter?

Also, I used a stubby ratcheting wrench to get to the bolts on the CPS. Most use a socket on an extension and wobble joint.

my 1990 was doing the same thing check ur pressure should be like 30 psi or more if not replace it

The bolts thread into the bellhousing, making them metric (I believe, anyways) - I used an 11mm.

7/16 is just a hair over 11mm so it should work fine, these are low torque fasteners.

... have you actually tested the CPS or are you just throwing more sensors and money at it?

I have a drop on my t case, so i can reach mine easy..Use a jack to lower the t case about a 1" or 2", then it is easy to get to the bolts

Never dropped my T case before... How easy is that to do?? Is it easier just to get extension and wobble socket than drop T case?

my 1990 was doing the same thing check ur pressure should be like 30 psi or more if not replace it

Dont have a fuel pressure gauge and I cant really afford one right now. I did remove the cap on the fuel rail and release the fuel from the port, which it sprayed out like CRZY!! so i know they have fuel/adiquate pressure.

The bolts thread into the bellhousing, making them metric (I believe, anyways) - I used an 11mm.

7/16 is just a hair over 11mm so it should work fine, these are low torque fasteners.

... have you actually tested the CPS or are you just throwing more sensors and money at it?

Nope didnt test it, probably should have but i was already at the auto parts store... It was like $25.. Lets hope its it......

I doubt it is, but hey, at least you will have a spare for the glovebox after you replace it.

My method:
* get your 11mm socket, wobble/u-joint, 2-3 feet of extension bars, and ratchet.
* lie down under jeep with your head behind the left front tire and your feet toward the back end of the jeep.
* reach your left arm up between the front driveshaft and frame rail. Feel along the back of the bellhousing right near the front edge for the sensor and bolts.
* Poke the extensions and socket up till you feel the socket with your hand.
* Use your hand to guide the socket onto the bolt and keep it there while you break the bolt loose. Repeat.
* use your fingers (or if you aren't strong enough, the extensions and socket) to spin the top bolt out, then the bottom bolt. Make sure you don't drop them into the bellhousing, they are special and also will put a hole in your bellhousing if you leave one in there to get hit by things when you start it back up.
* remove sensor and plastic shield (if present)
* install new sensor, process is reversed... do the bottom bolt first, it's easier to avoid dropping that one back into the hole.

I have done this on a jeep I had just driven on the highway. The exhaust was hot enough to give me a second degree burn on my leg through my jeans instantly, and the transmission was also very hot. It took me 10 minutes on the side of the road.

I used a stubby ratcheting wrench to get the bolts out of mine. It only took a few minutes and wasn't too hard.

Got the new CPS installed today...
2guns.gif
Starts fine, just as always. Idles at 1400 RPM ( a little high), but still ok.. On the test drive it still had the issue with lack of power at the start when the motor was below normal operating temp... The more and more i drove it seemed to help... At the end I was able to drive around the area no with no problem. I still feel that its a little laggy on throttle response so i will re-tune my TPS and see if that helps...

I think its ok to drive now after its up to temp, but below that i still dont trust... Is there something else that may be at fault?? something that after warm performces better?? I may as well replace it as well..
smile.gif

Thxs for all the help... See u on the road SOOON.

Back