• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help out a Newbie

Welcome! Nice XJ! How's the rust situation on it? Mine was that color... and it was bad. Seen a few others with that paint and none have been great.
Mines the same color an there's zero rust (I've looked every, including the floorboards.) It doesn't hurt it's spent 10 years in Phoenix, 1 in Fort Worth, 1 in Denver (dryer than you think), and 2 out here.

Colin... you would be proud...

I just bought a Charger... 1st Dodge I have ever owned.

He might just be double proud, or disappointed, but seeing as my "inherited" '70 RoadRunner is in the best shape of the bunch, I'm leaning toward keeping it for a retro-rod build...It also happens to be the same age as me, call me nostalgic. My Impala turned out to be a rustpig underneath, so I'm going to sell it for parts, but the 69 Camaro is still up for grabs. has surface rust but feels like the body is solid.
Rich

Post pics!!

I don't have any yet, I'll get some tomorrow.

He might just be double proud, or disappointed, but seeing as my "inherited" '70 RoadRunner is in the best shape of the bunch, I'm leaning toward keeping it for a retro-rod build...It also happens to be the same age as me, call me nostalgic. My Impala turned out to be a rustpig underneath, so I'm going to sell it for parts, but the 69 Camaro is still up for grabs. has surface rust but feels like the body is solid.
Rich

Nice!! That's cool, I was hoping you were going to keep one of them and build it. Camaro is up for grabs huh.... hmmm.

Post pics!!

006_zps07a341fe.jpg

008_zpsb1ab81b5.jpg

2012 Charger SXT AWD. I test drove an RT that was AWD too, and REALLY liked it, just couldn't reason out the hit I was going to take on mileage with the driving I do... As it is, this V6 pushes a very respectable 300Hp, and still maintains almost 30mpg highway. I am averaging about 28mpg with it over the past month I have had it.

Nice Charger :worship:

You guys were right, Jeff had me out the door with a rad, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, upper & lower rad hoses, a service manual, front sway bar bushings, and a couple things I'm forgetting for like $230 with tax :woohoo:

Time to tackle the cooling system tomorrow - anyone have a good writeup on order-of-operation??

Rich

You made the right choice.

:D

Nice Charger :worship:

You guys were right, Jeff had me out the door with a rad, water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, upper & lower rad hoses, a service manual, front sway bar bushings, and a couple things I'm forgetting for like $230 with tax :woohoo:

Time to tackle the cooling system tomorrow - anyone have a good writeup on order-of-operation??

I can't think of a good article/write-up but I'd flush the block and heater core out with a garden hose. Not a lot of extra time but could help with any minor blockages.

Any idea approx how many qts/liters/gals the cooling system takes? Till it's full right? lol

Jeff @ Crown in Canton comes through again - Just ordered a replacement electric fan since mine was seized up pretty bad. Since it was late Saturday I made the mistake of calling the dealer to see if they had one in stock - nope, but they could have it in by Wednesday for a paltry sum of $330 + tax. If everything comes through Jeff will have one to my door by then for 90 :cheers:

All done and buttoned up, no leaks yet after 2 short heat cycles

Overall the install went well. I had to trim a couple tabs on the radiator to seat the fan shroud correctly. In all the excitement I forgot to screw the coolant tube onto the water pump before installing and had to pull it back off :twak: and put the tube on.
The coolant flushed out of the heater core pretty quickly, no rust or nasty looking anything, just good looking coolant then clean water. Same story with the block.
This had to be one of the slowest radiators to fill I've ever worked on. I guess I'm spoiled with 26" big block rads.

IMG_20130419_075052_552sm.jpg

Back