• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me indentify this noise

Pharaoh XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Couple of weeks ago I started hearing a lound bang coming from the end of my AW4 or NP231 I thought it was the U joints but my mechanic slided under and played with the rear driveshaft but he said the Ujoints are ok.
I hear this bang:
- When engaging D or R
- Putting In gear then applying gas
- At any speed if the car hops from going over a small bump with my foot on the gas (torque Applied), if i went over the same bump with my foot off the gas it doesnt Bang.

I first thought it was coming from my TrakLoc 8.25 or maybe a broken Shock but I can hear it right underneath me

Its a 94 4.0L AW4 np231 with 150k miles

EDIT: POP is the best word to explain the noise

Last edited:
Hows the fluid look in your Transfer Case?

Any difference in the noise 2WD vs 4WD?

Hows your tranny mount look?

Open the fill hole of the t-case and stick your CLEAN finger in there to see if you can feel fluid. If you can't then i'd just empty it all out and then fill it up again.

Um Sounds like the Tranny Mount to me :)

I agree with 1985xjlaredo. It must be the transmission mount. The noise has to be the exhaust knocking the rear crsossmember (where the tranmission lies).Mine got just so worn that the transmission was too far down and the exhaust down pipe while vibrating, knocked the crossmember anytime. I thought it was the transfer case aswell, or the front drive shaft (that was recently serviced, maybe was not correctly alligned-balanced).
By the way, if it is the mount, the part number is 5200 2334 (Mopar 1992 Parts Catalog). Hope this helps!

I have the same noise I believe. My friend had his buddy pull it but mechanic in training could'nt find/fix anything. Now I have it and trying to find any OEM specs/rebuild data I can track down. If anyone has or knows where I can get please inform. T(bigtime)IA, Bill-

Back