• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me decide what to do with my XJ!

Dubster

NAXJA Forum User
My '88 has been sitting since Big Bear. Time to smog it with 256k on the motor. The motor was a bit noisy on the trip but I figured I'd give it a try. Drove it to put some good gas in it and some Iso Heat. Figured I'd drive it a few days before taking it in. Then I notice it's leaking coolant from the rear of the block. Looks like maybe the last freeze plug on the driver side.

At this point I'm not sure I even want to try to smog it if it's going to need major engine work which I'm pretty sure it does.

I've owned it for over 20 years and wheeled it stock for a long time. Now it's on RE 4 1/2 inch super flex kit with 33 inch BFG mud terrains with less than 650 miles on them. Only 5k miles ago a brand new Dana 44 and 33 spline alloy USA shafts were installed in the rear along with new parts for the high pinion front. Detroit lockers front and rear with 4:88 gears. AX15 swapped in at the same time with SYE and drive shafts.

Front brakes are all new. Rotors, calipers and pads. All brand new rear brakes less than 2500 miles ago. Racks, bumpers, tire carrier and Rusty's body armor.

That's not all but you get the idea.

New motor seems to be the logical choice but I'm just not sure I'm comfortable with that. Worried that I'd get it running again and have all kinds of trouble getting it smogged. Especially since California keeps lowering the allowed emissions for the test.

I could spend a couple hundred bucks and replace the freeze plug/plugs and hope it smogs this time around but then what? Sell it? Part it out? Plan on a rebuild and cross my fingers?

Finally, I could transfer as many parts over to my really nice '99 and part out the rest. Already pulled out the big sound system and I'll sell that including the McIntosh control center.

Recommendations?

Thanks,

dub

I'd swap the stuff to the 99, part out what you don't need, and move on. Just my opinion though

Freeze plugs and a pneumatic hammer if it were me. Probably.

I wouldn't bother doing the swap for a 99. If I were doing it, I'd do a 2000.

I'll be in town this weekend Dub, and we can talk.

I wouldn't bother doing the swap for a 99. If I were doing it, I'd do a 2000.

I'll be in town this weekend Dub, and we can talk.
Did I miss something? Besides an extremely trivial difference in smogging.....what's the difference? And he already has a 99, totally not worth buying a 2000 just to swap things.

That sounds like a pretty nicely built rig to be willing to give up on it over a freeze plug.

Yes, a freeze plug is a PITA, but it is not a major repair.

If the tin worm hasn't taken serious hold and there are not cracks through the floor I would say fix the freeze plug and keep on wheeling it.

If it were me I would try to get it past smog first. If the smog tech fails it for want of an E.O. tag on a header I would rather get that verdict before I R&R that side of the motor rather than after.

Fix it.

Keep it running.

It's your duty. You are obligated.

You don't own the XJ, it owns you.

Seriously, I feel your pain. Been there a couple of times with my '88. seeeing that 28 year old station wagon fire up, roll down the road and conquer the trail is VERY satisfying.

Sell it, buy a JK....

...Seriously tho, your complaining about a free plug thats not between the engine/trans? fix that shit and be on with your day.

I think he has been sniffing fumes in his gas tank.

If the freeze plug doesn't fix it, just put some work into the motor. If that doesn't work, then Consider talking to Russ Pottenger and just build a new motor. keep the rig. if that is truly all it needs , you wont regret it.

Back