• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me choose my tires.

NattyBoh

NAXJA Forum User
Whats up guys. From what Ive been reading, these are the two tires I have narrowed my selection to.

Im after a 35x12.50r15 tire. I did want to go Interco, due to their aggressive and how well they are in the mud. But no 35" tire. So that lead me to these two, Cooper Discoverer STT and the BFG KM2s.

I wanted to NOT buy a tire because of the name, but because of the quality and how well it works. The Coopers are made here and the BFGs are not. The coopers seem to have a nice sidewall, and same with the BFGs. Now the BFGs I have read that they can clog with mud at times. From the looks of the STTs tread, they look like it too.

Thing with tires is that the :best: tire is what that person is running usually. Its hard to get an honest opnion. And also, some people say ahh tires suck on pavement etc. IMO, you're buying a mud tire, not a street tire. Sure they are going to be bad on the street. So that isn't even a comparison point for me. Neither is tire noise. I only care about how well it does in the mud/trails/ light rocks. But even the rocks arent really much. Its more of a mud tire only. Not bogging, but woods/mud/roots/trails tire.

So with that being said, which would you choose for those conditions? And the tire first based on how well it would perform on trails?

The Cooper Discoverer STTs or the BFG KM2s

Have you looked at Mickey Thompson MTZ's? I know it is not on your list of two, but I have been impressed with mine in snow, sand, rocks, as well as highway.

rig setup, tire pressure, driving style, location, desires all change between each person. you will NEVER get anyone to tell you anything other than waht you already want to hear. there is no cheating "easy button" approach to "what tires are gonna make me a bad ass". get money together, make a decision, buy some tires and try em out. just because someone didnt succeed at something doesnt mean it was immediately the tires fault, just like accomplishing something isnt due solely to the tires either.

its a combination of everything that makes it work. noone can tell you what combo will work best for you except for your lady, your wallet, and your ego.

/thread

FWIW im not trying to be dick, but there is no way in hell anyone can give you any good advice unless you run the exact same setup pressure axles gears lockers drve te same trails just as much street driving and drive the EXACT same. you may be able to get something to work that no one else can becuase of your style/setup. its about being creative and trying things out. making mistakes it part of the game. no one gets it right teh first time, those that do are liars. :D

Last edited:
i think i read in the four wheelers mag or peterson where they where compairing radial M/T's.the believe the honkook was rated 1 and the mt/r kevlar rated 2.

Ive seen the Trxus locally used pretty good shape for around 800, thts with rims and all. The LTB is good, but its biased and I heard that they SUCK in the cold until they warm up. And Id rather not be humping around until the tires warm up.

Id like to go radial, which also set me off to those two tires I listed above.

Here is a picture of the Trxus locally
2vbkmrq.jpg

2z82ntl.jpg

What do you guys think on the tread? Look good? What about percentage wise? Also, you can see the un even tread wear on the center of the lugs, do you think thats ok?

Ive seen the Trxus locally used pretty good shape for around 800, thts with rims and all. The LTB is good, but its biased and I heard that they SUCK in the cold until they warm up. And Id rather not be humping around until the tires warm up. ?

yeah but for that price you could buy some NEW soft 8s and a set of treadwrights with 2 year warranty... and even have a little beer money left over...

True, but no 35s.. or I would have been done that.(n)

edit: Thing with tires, is like if you buy one set then you would have wished you bought the other ones instead. For me haha its a lose lose situation. I still think it will be between the STTs and the KM2s

Last edited:
i think i read in the four wheelers mag or peterson where they where compairing radial M/T's.the believe the honkook was rated 1 and the mt/r kevlar rated 2.

You do realize that tires/winches/lifts in those mags get favorable reviews in accordance with how much the manufacturer pays the magazine.

Sent from tapatalk on iJunk

I just got 35 km2's after living my whole wheeling life on 32 at's. It's amazing. Aired down to 10 psi in the rocks with no beadlocks and no problems.

Sent from tapatalk on iJunk

edit: Thing with tires, is like if you buy one set then you would have wished you bought the other ones instead. For me haha its a lose lose situation. I still think it will be between the STTs and the KM2s

Not true IF you do your research properly. What do people in your neck of the woods prefer? I think you would be hard pressed to find a better all around tire than the MT/R Kevlar....

Overall, in my Jeep w/ 32's and a front locker I have only been somewhat satisfied w/ my KM2's in the PNW wheeling I do; mainly slick muddy trail w/ lots of tree roots and some rocks.

Perhaps a rear locker would make things better, but even still I have seen rigs locked F/R on 35" KM2's get our performed by similarly setup rigs on MT/R Kevlars and TrXus. The rig I am referring to, recently had a switched from KM2's to Kevlars and my buddy said it was a night and day difference. Better in ALL aspects from mud to rocks to street.

Back