• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help disconnecting huge wire connectors in dash

99ScottXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I am the guy who breaks every clip off the connectors in frustration and feels good about it because I will never have to unclip it in the awkward position it is and just yank it out next time. Also usually end up stripping a wire or two with the pliers as they slip off the housing. However now that im taking my dash competely out Ive come across two huge ones, one to the left of center of the dash and one completely to the left side. Does anyone have experience getting those apart with finesse? Please share how to do it because those look too crazy to F up.

I am the smiley face with the club and the horse is the engineer who designed the dash!!! Hasta Hasta Hasta

Here are photos of the two big ones, also this little yellow one is giving me trouble. Any tips?

Most of the connectors on the 97+ plus are not "pry ups" you push down on the tab to get them to release. Any time you see the red thing on them that is a lock. You need to slide it a 1/4" or so to release the lock then push the tab down. The one in front of the HVAC suitcase has a couple big tabs (on top and bottom) that get lifted up and releases the whole shebang and makes removal easier. The ones with the bolt in the center need the bolt loosened until it comes apart. The bolt will not come out.

I've always had the worst luck with electrical connectors, I break so many trying to get them apart. I have had some success with spraying them down with contact cleaner, really soaking things to help loosen them. Pushing the connector Together sometimes helps to loosen things up. I try to also cover things with dielectric grease to help keep them from sticking in the future.

Ok, thanks guys, yeah I got them apart, I am going to coat them in grease before I put them back together to help next time, good idea. They were just connected by those bolts. Im going to do a write up with pictures how to take the dash apart because it was really easy just its like a maze under there and I even bought/downloaded the XJ service manual online and the directions were pretty terrible.

Now to the next phase, do either of you know how to get this apart? Basically all the AC stuff off of the firewall? Where are the bolts or screws?

2u6dx7r.jpg

There are 6 or 7 nuts on the firewall that holds the HVAC suitcase in. There may also be a bracket on the top attached to the firewall. You will need a special tool to release the springs for the ac lines and then fight with the heater hoses.

A ratchet wrench is a savior for the two nuts behind the engine!

So obviously the 6 or 7 nuts I need to take off are from the engine side of firewall? Do you know if they carry the special tool at harbor freight?

they are on the firewall side. Autozone has the disconnect tools and so does HF. I got my first set from HF and used them all the time until I misplaced them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-quick-disconnect-tool-set-38732.html

you can see most of the holes in this pic starting in the center, going towards the passenger side. There is another nut on the very bottom under the blower motor that you can't see in this pic.

16d61978.jpg

Last edited:
You are the man! Thanks so much! So I need to drain the AC then? Can that be done at home and keep the coolant? I know that stuff is expensive. I do have a leak in my AC and the summer is coming up would be nice to just get it fixed while everything is apart.

Unless you have a recovery machine I don't know of any way to catch your Freon. You could reassemble it enough to drive to a ac shop and have them recover it for you. You will need to have a shop pull a vacuum and check for leaks after you get it back together.

Unless you have a recovery machine I don't know of any way to catch your Freon. You could reassemble it enough to drive to a ac shop and have them recover it for you. You will need to have a shop pull a vacuum and check for leaks after you get it back together.

I don't think he has Freon... He still needs to go get the refrigerant recovered at a shop though. I've herd most places will do it on the cheap if you are coming back to get it refilled.

"Freon" is a universal word for older mechs (or techs for the younger generation) to say "refrigerant".

"Freon" is a universal word for older mechs (or techs for the younger generation) to say "refrigerant".

"Freon" is name owned by Dupont, its like Plexiglass... Just because it became a common term doesn't make it the correct term, just saying. It can cause confusion for people when they think they actually have Freon in their system and go on to research based on that when he doesn't have Freon.

/pet peeve

haha freon, coolant, refrigerant, I knew what he meant and I knew I dont have actual freon or I wouldnt even be talking about taking it out myself. But yeah I need to get a shop to pull out whatever is in there I guess so that will be something to worry about further on down the road.

How much of the HVAC stuff can I get off the wall then without removing the freon stuff?

Not much really. You said your ac didn't blow cold so you probably have no "refrigerant" in it. Push the Schrader valve on the line to see if there is any in it.

Can I get the part in red off without disconnecting the lines? There is still refrigerant in the system so cant disconnect it till in a shop.

ezhd6q.jpg

Last edited:
Back