• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hella Black Magic driving lights

Hammered

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone here have or seen Hella Black Magic lights in action. Just wondering if the perform the same, and if the light is equal to non black magics.

I am under the impression that these "appear" to have covers when not in use... so less issues with the fuzz perhaps.:dunno:

Last edited:
Hammered said:
Does any here have or seen Hella Black Magic lights in action. Just wondering if the perform the same, and if the light is equal to non black magics.

I am under the impression that these "appear" to have covers when not in use... so less issues with the fuzz perhaps.:dunno:

I've not seen them actually turned on, but I think the "blackout" effect is done with a matte black honeycomb behind the lense, rather than tint. This means that it looks black when you see it from an angle, but fairly normal when you look straight into (or straight out of) the thing.

I've seen "anti-glare" screens on binoculars that work much the same way, except for being in front of the lense - else you wouldn't reduce the glare.

a friend of mine runs a pair of those on the front of a supercharged 'yota prerunner. imo they do quite well, they throw enough light for 90mph through the desert. :eek:

I can't find any good photos of them online, they have something like this inside them... basically, the reflector at the back of the housing reflects the black sight back through the lens. it also blocks a little glare to the sides, so it's a more "focused" beam.
tx_gunsight33.jpg

i've seen some of them in action, and i'm not really all that impressed when compared to other lights that cost a lot less. they're kinda gimmicky in my opinion. yeah they look cool, but cost like $75-100 more than a good set of rallye 4000s.

well the driving 500 black magics are only 115$ and well worth it // comes with complete kit and evrything you need to install . just ass powerfull light as the normal 500 series driving light . just looks better in some peoples opinion. the light spectrum is rated the exact same. i have a pair , yet to install them but the only reason i got them is because i saw my buddies in action. they work good

Back