• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater hose sizes?

Yes, I meant open loop.

I always read that 210* is normal operating temps and running down at 180 is too cool for the engine.

The 180 to 210 range has been HOTLY debated at times here. :D

What point on the temp gauge indicates 180*? I read on here before that it was actually set up as a log scale.

What point on the temp gauge indicates 180*? I read on here before that it was actually set up as a log scale.
For an exact, real temperature I no longer trust the dash gauges. They are good for direction, size of T change, but they are rarely calibrated.

I use an infrared hand held sensor under the hood to verify localized real temperatures on mine and then correct the actual dash gauge reading for what I read with the IR gauge. Right now my dash is reading about 35 F too low compared to the thermostat area measurements I am getting. I am also getting a 20 F rise from the rear of my head to front.

For an exact, real temperature I no longer trust the dash gauges. They are good for direction, size of T change, but they are rarely calibrated.

I use an infrared hand held sensor under the hood to verify localized real temperatures on mine and then correct the actual dash gauge reading for what I read with the IR gauge. Right now my dash is reading about 35 F too low compared to the thermostat area measurements I am getting. I am also getting a 20 F rise from the rear of my head to front.

What part of the engine are you taking teh measurement from? I have access to an IR thermometer.

Well, I just found a leak in the radiator. Just a tiny amount of coolant. Leaks from the lower, driver side corner. Also leaks trans fluid in that corner as well. Almost impossible to see with the e-fan installed.

This can explain my poor coolant temps ... loss of pressure in the system. Looks like I've gotta get a new rad to put in.

If you need an easy temp. fix, get some JBStick. Kinda like a 2 part epoxy putty. Sets in a few mins., cures in an hour. Helped me get home from work (~30 mi. highway) on a leaky rad. Held for a few days til I got new rad.

I was kind of thinking something like that, but it's nice to get clarification that I'm not totally crazy.
Just mosltly/partly?

Well, I'm not exactly sure where the leak is from, because it leaks just ever so slightly. I think the trans leak is from the fitting where the fluid hose goes into the rad.

I already knew i was partly crazy.

Back