• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heated washer fluid

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
I was watchin TV and saw Buick's new ad for their newest line of cars with heated washer fluid, which i thought was genius. No more ice/snow scraping before work/school in the freezing cold. Has anyone EVER tried somethin like this or have any ideas how this could be accomplished effectively? i think it would be pretty cool :thumbup:

Somebody here built an on board shower (water heater). A design I would like to copy. Its a heat exchanger, copper tubes soldered together so that smaller copper tubes pass in and out of a larger copper chamber. Do a search for this thing and you'll see what I mean. You could heat the fluid this way but it would require the engine to be warm. Or use an electrical device.

sounds like a good idea at first, but then I start thinking why complicate things with a heater when the red/orange "de-icer" washer fluid works just fine even when it's -10f outside.

BCParker said:
sounds like a good idea at first, but then I start thinking why complicate things with a heater when the red/orange "de-icer" washer fluid works just fine even when it's -10f outside.

Agreed. In addition, the best way to heat the washer fluid would be to use a heat exchanger like the one bajacalal describes, which means the engine would have to be warm for the device to be of any use. Even if you use an electric heater in the washer fluid bottle, it will take a few minutes to get hot. By the time you wait for things to warm up you might as well just scrape the damn ice off.

BCParker said:

Zackly...

Might not be too complicated if some company makes an "on demand" water heater, like those Europeans use for their home water heaters, but in a smaller version and electric powered.

I dunno fellas......... I think there could be some problems in the right conditions where warm water + cold windshield = cracked glass. I cracked the windshield on a Dodge Ram a couple years back when I left the truck pointed toward the sun one afternoon, then got out the hose to wash the truck. One quick pass of the water across the hot windshield and "pop".

Now, if someone were to design heated pads at the bottom of the windshield where the wiper blades sit....... I'm all about having something that would melt the ice off the blades.

YELLAHEEP said:
I dunno fellas......... I think there could be some problems in the right conditions where warm water + cold windshield = cracked glass. I cracked the windshield on a Dodge Ram a couple years back when I left the truck pointed toward the sun one afternoon, then got out the hose to wash the truck. One quick pass of the water across the hot windshield and "pop".

Now, if someone were to design heated pads at the bottom of the windshield where the wiper blades sit....... I'm all about having something that would melt the ice off the blades.
my dad's town and country has a heated area in the windshield where the wipers sit. I wonder if they make a cut to fit rear window defogger, you could make it fit that section of the windshield

and remember, warm liquids tend to freeze faster than cold liquids... well at least water does, dunno how the windshield washer fluid mix works at that chemical level, but its a consideration...

I don't know all the "exactlys" about it, but it's true. Has to do with energy transferance. The hot molecules are more willing to give up their energy than the cold molecules, so hot water freezes faster than cold water. ALSO, if you look at the two, hot water freezers clearer than cold water. Cold water that is frozen will look milky.

It was cold enough here in the North East last year that if you threw your coffee out of your mug while outside, it would crystalize before it hit the ground.

Erik

It won't always freeze faster, it depends on several conditions. Although I don't see what any of that has to do with heating WW fluid. Supposedly the makers of the device have come with the ideal temperature to heat the fluid that will melt snow and ice and still be safe for your windshield.

Trailbst said:
I don't know all the "exactlys" about it, but it's true. Has to do with energy transferance.
Erik

The scientific community can't fully agree on why it happens. It's a pretty interesting effect though.

its kinda like when things heat, the molecules get further apart...hench heat causes expansion. When the molecules are further apart, they have less insulation, lose heat at a faster rate and once that rate is established, faster freezing. Or at lease one of the theories ive heard before.

Welcome to Science class. 4 possible explanations for the Mpemba effect

1) Evaporation -- As the initially warmer water cools to the initial temperature of the initially cooler water, it may lose significant amounts of water to evaporation. The reduced mass will make it easier for the water to cool and freeze. Then the initially warmer water can freeze before the initially cooler water, but will make less ice. Theoretical calculations have shown that evaporation can explain the Mpemba effect if you assume that the water loses heat solely through evaporation [11]. This explanation is solid, intuitive, and evaporation is undoubtedly important in most situations. However, it is not the only mechanism. Evaporation cannot explain experiments that were done in closed containers, where no mass was lost to evaporation [12]. And many scientists have claimed that evaporation alone is insufficient to explain their results [5,9,12].

2) Dissolved Gasses -- Hot water can hold less dissolved gas than cold water, and large amounts of gas escape upon boiling. So the initially warmer water may have less dissolved gas than the initially cooler water. It has been speculated that this changes the properties of the water in some way, perhaps making it easier to develop convection currents (and thus making it easier to cool), or decreasing the amount of heat required to freeze a unit mass of water, or changing the boiling point. There are some experiments that favor this explanation [10,14], but no supporting theoretical calculations.

3) Convection -- As the water cools it will eventually develop convection currents and a non-uniform temperature distribution. At most temperatures, density decreases with increasing temperature, and so the surface of the water will be warmer than the bottom -- this has been called a "hot top." Now if the water loses heat primarily through the surface, then water with a "hot top" will lose heat faster than we would expect based on its average temperature. When the initially warmer water has cooled to an average temperature the same as the initial temperature of the initially cooler water, it will have a "hot top", and thus its rate of cooling will be faster than the rate of cooling of the initially cooler water at the same average temperature. Got all that? You might want to read this paragraph again, paying careful distinction to the difference between initial temperature, average temperature, and temperature. While experiments have seen the "hot top", and related convection currents, it is unknown whether convection can by itself explain the Mpemba effect.

4) Surroundings -- A final difference between the cooling of the two containers relates not to the water itself, but to the surrounding environment. The initially warmer water may change the environment around it in some complex fashion, and thus affect the cooling process. For example, if the container is sitting on a layer of frost which conducts heat poorly, the hot water may melt that layer of frost, and thus establish a better cooling system in the long run. Obviously explanations like this are not very general, since most experiments are not done with containers sitting on layers of frost.

I have the Hot shot in my 92 and it works good so far. But now it has not gotten cold enough to use it. One thing i know for sure is it great using heated water on a filthy or muddy windshield. Paid $150 , but have seen it for $250.

You could wrap some copper tubing around one of your exhaust manifold tubes and splice it in series with the winshield washer tubing.......heated washer fluid..........Hans

Back