• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heat Sheilds

Ludakris

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, I want to ditch my interior rubber mat and herculiner (or something else) the interior. My concern is the heat from the exhaust. I have heard about using the 97'+ heat sheild, but thought about making some. I have an 89' but the way. I have some street signs sitting around, and thought about using these with some long u'bolt clamps mouned stud up, and then the aluminum signs (i think they are aluminum) on top... Will this work? If i get a good air gap between the cat/muffler, and the body? or should I go heat wrap? (which I have heard shortens the life of the pipe)...

http://www.speedzone24-7.com/SpeedZone24-7-Print-Catalog.htm

scroll down around half way to where it says "Thermo-Tec Muffler / Catalytic Converter Heat Shield " If your really pressed for space this will work. At ramchargers a local detroit car shop i got a 11"X12" heat mat from thermo tec for less than $13-$14. When i put on a flowmaster 50 series , patched my floor rot from the stock muffler, with no heat shield. I used the mat as a back up if the flowmaster shield wasn't enough. Cheap insurace.

i think street signs are steel. Try getting a generic aluminum heat shield. Summitt or jegs sell their own brand and flowmaster ones i imagine you can cut them to fit and they are fastened with a giant hold clamp fastener if you muffler is shaped anything like a flowmaster it would work. If you have a round tube muffler then you will have to make it.

Last edited:
motorcityxj said:
i think street signs are steel. Try getting a generic aluminum heat shield.
I remember reading somewhere about using a baking sheet, might that have been a GoJeep modification?

Back