• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HEADS UP! poss. front brake caliper recall

wilcharl said:
Do we have any idea where the source of this is? anyone from inside DC leaking it out... im sure it iwll not cover the renix era that had amc calipers
Check post 11. I listed the effective start and end dates.

ChiXJeff said:
Actually, if there is an issue with the calipers not freeing up, there's a pretty GOOD chance they'll cover rotors and pads too. GM paid for a new set of pads, rotors and calipers on my 84 Fiero GT when the pads were wearing unevenly. The recall specifically stated to replace all parts that were worn down or unevenly.
takes some balls to admit you owned a Fiero :wave:

sbxj said:
takes some balls to admit you owned a Fiero :wave:

HEY! I *LIKED* my Fiero. 84 GT, V6 4spd and 4 wheel disk brakes. Aside from a head gasket problem on the rear bank, it was pretty trouble free. Bought it around 1991, and drove it until 1997.

Timber said:
I didn't say it had everything. I just posted it about the brakes.

EDIT: That site also doesn't mention that only those with manufactured dates from 07/01/1995-10/15/1998 are covered by the brake recall.

That sucks, I missed it by a few months and I totally need new calipers. Under hard braking my drivers side front brake locks up.

If you actually look at that recall notice you'll see it isn't about the calipers at all or about warping rotors, its about rust and for that you are only covered if you live in certain northeast states.

THE FRONT DISC BRAKE ROTORS CAN EXPERIENCE SEVERE CORROSION IF OPERATED FOR AN EXTENSIVE PERIOD IN THE "SALT BELT." ... THE REDUCED STRENGTH CAN ALLOW THE CAST IRON WEAR SURFACE TO SEPARATE FROM THE HUB.

Atl XJ said:
That sucks, I missed it by a few months and I totally need new calipers. Under hard braking my drivers side front brake locks up.
It does suck. I'll need new brakes pretty soon and my build date was 12/18/98, and I definitely live in the "Salt Belt."

99XJSPORT06 said:
Where did you find this out from?

I don't have a problem with my front brakes...except the squeeling...but thats just cheap brakes. My problem is the drums lock up instantly when the pedal is applied while they're wet or cold. Still can't figure out what thats about.

If you mean the rears lock up, make sure your wheel seals or wheel cylinders are not leaking oil onto your brake shoes, that will cause them to lock up as well.

The rears lock up from moisture. In cold weather the brakes are generally warm after use and you get condensation on them, then first couple of times youu brake they lock up. Mine did it with the factory shoes, does not do it anymore since I had the rears done back in dec while they were inspecting it. They had over 240,000mi on them and were the originals. What I did to get around it was lightly apply my brakes once I got out of my driveway and was going down a slight hill to the main road. Since I got the new shoes and drums I have not had that problem.

The only 2 recalls I know of for 97 up XJs are the brake rotor one mentioned before that you qualify if you have a car regestered in the salt belt (I live in SC but have my jeep registered in WI and that's where I bought it. Don't worry it's legal cause I'm military.) Anyway my rotors are fine so haven't replaced them but the other one is for the factory airbag sensor replacement. Had that one fixed because you can have your airbags go off in wet weather for no reason. Kind of scary! Anyway it involves removal of the drivers seat and when they reinstalled my seat they gouged the paint pretty bad under the door sill. The dealership was good about getting it painted back to new, but they didn't even mention it when I picked up the jeep. I guess someone in the shop hoped I wouldn't notice, that's just wrong. So I found a new 5 star dealership after that.

Back