• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headliner Replacement Fabric

bajacalal said:
I was thinking of using gray felt. How did it work out, was it hard to wrap the thick felt around the edges?

If you're using spray adhesive, you really only have to wrap your material over the front edge. The sides and rear are covered by interior trim so they just get trimmed with a razor.

I used gray felt on mine, and it looked exactly like factory. Blended in with the gray interior really well.

Felt will stretch to some extent, and is very easy to work with. I folded it over the headliner board on all sides, and cut every few inches (on the back) to prevent wrinkles.

I used the 3m super77. Its holding up well after 2 years.
For fabric I used a transformers bedsheet - Optimus Prime! A twin size bedsheet is plenty wide to do a headliner and you can get them in fun patterns for cheap

Well... I just picked up some Desert Camo fabric. About to do mine. I got the 3M 77 and I hope it works out OK. Didn't read thi until I already bought the can. Ready to go and I don't want to take it back.

I re-did mine last summer with some plain grey material from a fabric store and the 3M77. I was very liberal with the glue, but I think the material was too heavy because it fell again about five months later.

Before replacing it, I drove around for a while with just bare steel up top. If I can find the time this weekend, I'm going to back to that again.

With that set up, I no longer had to worry about ripping the headliner while trying to load firewood or bike parts. Plus my son liked sticking all sorts of magnets on the roof.

I have no headliner at all. Just bare metal. I was thinking I may have to either go to a junk yard, or make a backing out of paneling or formica

Well, whatever ya do, don't use blue fabric.....I got my xj from a friend, who had replaced the headliner using blue headliner fabric.

Well, it has faded........TO PINK !!!!!!!

how in the heck blue fades to pink I have no clue, but it did.

Here's your link.
Hints:
The kit comes with 1 can of adhesive. You'll need at least 3. I suggest the 3M product.
Follow the instructions to the letter.
Let it dry INSIDE THE HOUSE, not in the garage, for 2 full days. When I did mine it never got warmer than 35 all day for a week. The glue won't dry right if you let it sit in cold or damp.

http://www.wlsheadliners.com/tutorials/cherokee/

Back