• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headliner alternatives.....

A coat of resin would probably be enough to stiffen it up. You want to get that roman-arch effect, so that its stiff enough for the load to go to the sides. Too little and it will be brittle, too much and it will buckle.

Yeah. If I did do fibre, it would be just one layer of mat on the backside.

I'd probably have to steam it to get the arch to come out right - or go with 1/8" MDF and definitely a layer of loose-woven mat...

Replaced mine in the 92 which is now gone. It was a challenge as the board is big and it is a challenge to prevent wrinkles in the fabric. Oh yeah, did the Joanne headliner with spray adhesive. Needed 2 cans at $20/ea.!

Now I need to do the 90. My daughter put about 200 straight pins in it to hold it up.

Glad to see this being discussed!

I am new here btw - just bought my first Jeep yesterday, a 2000 Cherokee Sport XJ. It was a good price (I think) at $1800, but there are a few things I'll need to work on, including the apparently common sagging headliner.

What is above the fiberglass board? I would assume painted metal. Is there any reason to keep the fiberglass / fabric headliner at all?

Glad to see this being discussed!

I am new here btw - just bought my first Jeep yesterday, a 2000 Cherokee Sport XJ. It was a good price (I think) at $1800, but there are a few things I'll need to work on, including the apparently common sagging headliner.

What is above the fiberglass board? I would assume painted metal. Is there any reason to keep the fiberglass / fabric headliner at all?

The fibreboard (that's usually what it is - lightweight fibreboard for structure, with fibreglas insulation on the backside) is there as a cosmetic panel, which hides the inside of the roof and the metal crossmembers under the roof panel.

Can you run without one? Sure - my 88 hasn't had a headliner in it for years. The cabin's a bit cooler - with the upper insulation missing - but I like cold so I don't really care. Once i get the sunroof out and patch the roof, I'll be replacing the headboard so I can have additional storage space and keep things handy.

If you can reuse the factory backer all I did was take the whole thing out, scrape all three old glue off and then paint it with a dark primer in a rattle can. It looks like a real headliner until you touch it. Nice, easy, and cheap

If you can reuse the factory backer all I did was take the whole thing out, scrape all three old glue off and then paint it with a dark primer in a rattle can. It looks like a real headliner until you touch it. Nice, easy, and cheap

In my case, there is no "factory backer." It was cut when the sunroof was installed (aftermarket - PO) and the thing had started to leak. After gooping the sunroof shut, the board crubmled out in little pieces...

That is just what I was thinking of. Glad to hear it worked for you - I will probably give that a try myself.

Back