• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight harness?

If you do make your own make sure the relays you get are 5 pin dual throw relays not a standard 5 pin.
The relay has to have pin 30, 86, 85, and two 87's, not one 87 and one 87a or one head light will be on when the light are off.
If this doesnt make sense PM me.
Also up grading your battery cables or at least cleaning all connections will help it just wont be as dramatic.
My home made harness should be good for up to 170 watts

You have to have Dual 87 pin relays or run 4 relays the electrical advantage is 2 less relays and fewer wires.
Watch this it will explain why a standard 5 pin with 87 and 87a wont work. Just look at his diagram.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By8tbu4AqtA&feature=related

If you look at the relays in your relay box most of the 5 pin relays dont even use pin 87a (the one in the middle).
Like the fuel pump and ac relay

Last edited:
I understand how relays work. As I said originally, having a relay with dual 87 pins is convenient but if you have some good quality standard 4 or 5 pin relays on hand, you can accomplish the same thing by joining the wires from the headlamps before the terminal or properly crimping one terminal with both wires inserted which then plugs into the 87 pin. You probably aren't going to believe me on this point, so I reread go-jeeps article to see if he addresses this point. He does so in the materials section relating to relays. http://www.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

As Go-Jeep further points out, the real advantage is using four relays which is my preference, but I will admit that I am anal about headlight wiring. It is obvious that most, but not all, undertaking this mod, are satisfied with two relays.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I would suggest that anyone not understanding how to properly join two wires in this situation probably should get help for a project as critical as headlight wiring.

Back