• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

header probs

stroked88

NAXJA Forum User
so i am in the process of building a stroker for my 88 xj. im using my 88 block, a 7120 head, a 99-01 intake, and i ordered a header from usautoparts.net. i ordered the header to fit the 7120 head. well i mached it all up and the intake hits the #6 exhaust tube. should i have ordered one for a 99-01? part number for the one i ordered is 17650.01

If you have read any of the write-ups for the 99+ intake swap you have to clearance either the header tube or the intake.

:dunno:i had read the one that the guy i bought the intake from and i didnt see anything. but i was wondering if there was a way i could get a header that didnt have to be modded. plus i dont want to restrict my header by denting it, and dont want the intake to be that close to the header because it can cause heating of the intake charge and make it more prone to detonation.

Last edited:
the needed dent is very small, there's no way it would restrict the flow to any measurable degree. i used a spark plug socket(laid on it's side) and a dead blow hammer to make a nice rounded dent just deep enough to clear the intake by a few mm's or so. the possible heat issue concerned me as well, so i used about a 3" wide piece of header wrap and a metal tie strap around the pipe right where it swooped by the intake. worked absolutely perfect.

thanks for that thead hubs that helps a lot

If you have read any of the write-ups for the 99+ intake swap you have to clearance either the header tube or the intake.

I didn't have any clearance problems between the '01 XJ intake that I swapped into my '92 XJ (4.6 stroker, 7120 head) last year and my Borla header. The clearance issue may depend on the make of header used. It shouldn't be difficult to either make a small indentation in the header tube or grind a small amount of material from the intake manifold.

It definitely depends on the header. Top pic from Lloyd's write-up, bottom is a Doug Thorley for a 96 (don't know if they make year-specific models) but with a 99 intake. Notice how the tube on the DT comes out further and angles down before turning.

4intake-exhaust.jpg

2651202035_8e979c6bc4.jpg

the header i got is a borla look alike omix-ada. i messed up the box so i cant send it back so ill just make it work

Smack it slighty for clearance, or shave the manifold down a hair. Both of these wont be a problem unless you really go hog wild. The Banks header I have on my 91 fits with a slight shave of the 99 manifold. Been running it like this for years no problems.

Back