• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header help

kj139

NAXJA Forum User
OK, After a year on NAXJA without putting out a thread, I am submitting my first. I have searched and searched but I haven't found the answer to my question, so please, be gentle.

I have an '88 XJ that I swapped a '95 4.0 into due to the other engine being trashed. Both rigs have cracked headers. I've shopped like crazy trying to find a header that will work with the '88, but most companies only offer for '91 and up. Borla advertises one but it is expensive and has fine-print about being for a maual, while I have the A4.

I pulled them both and the only differences I see are that the 95's O2-sensor screws into the downpipe, while the '88's O2-sensor screws into the bottom of the header. Additionally, the '88 has another "tube" connecting into one of the header pipes.

I plan to replace the entire exhaust so can I just buy a '91 or later header and screw the O2 sensor into the downpipe just like on the '95, or will that cause problems? I would sure like to know if it's possible before I spend a bunch of money.

kj139 said:
OK, After a year on NAXJA without putting out a thread, I am submitting my first. I have searched and searched but I haven't found the answer to my question, so please, be gentle.

I have an '88 XJ that I swapped a '95 4.0 into due to the other engine being trashed. Both rigs have cracked headers. I've shopped like crazy trying to find a header that will work with the '88, but most companies only offer for '91 and up. Borla advertises one but it is expensive and has fine-print about being for a maual, while I have the A4.

I pulled them both and the only differences I see are that the 95's O2-sensor screws into the downpipe, while the '88's O2-sensor screws into the bottom of the header. Additionally, the '88 has another "tube" connecting into one of the header pipes.

I plan to replace the entire exhaust so can I just buy a '91 or later header and screw the O2 sensor into the downpipe just like on the '95, or will that cause problems? I would sure like to know if it's possible before I spend a bunch of money.

As far as the header is concerned, it is a 95.....now.

If you order one for a 90 or older you will have to put the intake off of your old eng......or is that what you have already done?

Flash.

I put the '95 engine into the '88 and used the '88 header so the O2 sensor and other tube would go in the same place. The header from the '95 is the exact same shape as the '88, it just doesn't have a bung for the O2 sensor, nor does it have the input for the tube. It seems to me that using a late-model header would work fine, I would just need to use the downtube from the '95 so the O2 sensor will have a place to go.But then again, I don't know jack about O2 sensors and I haven't done enough research to follow the "tube" to its origin to see if I can just disconnect it or if it is needed to make the world turn. Any thoughts?

kj139 said:
I put the '95 engine into the '88 and used the '88 header so the O2 sensor and other tube would go in the same place. The header from the '95 is the exact same shape as the '88, it just doesn't have a bung for the O2 sensor, nor does it have the input for the tube. It seems to me that using a late-model header would work fine, I would just need to use the downtube from the '95 so the O2 sensor will have a place to go.But then again, I don't know jack about O2 sensors and I haven't done enough research to follow the "tube" to its origin to see if I can just disconnect it or if it is needed to make the world turn. Any thoughts?

I would us the the 95 intake/ext,(which will require you to us the accessory off the 95 also)alt,ps,tensioner and ac off from the 95......or was that 96 and newer that you had to do that.......I don't remember, but some one will straighten me out!:dunno:

But to make is simple all you have to do is by a Borla header and down pipe for the 88 set up, and you done.........Its only $$$$$$:D

Flash.

Be aware you will be deleting the EGR system and will not pass smog visual inspection.
You technically could have a bung welded in or I chose to keep it cheap and go with pacesetter, get the ceramic coating.
I used silicone tubing for egr line

There is really no simple way to run egr on a 99+ intake in order to make it happen you would have to machine and weld the intake to allow for the egr to bolt up and work correctly.. Good luck with that unless you work at a machine shop

traitor5150 said:
There is really no simple way to run egr on a 99+ intake in order to make it happen you would have to machine and weld the intake to allow for the egr to bolt up and work correctly.. Good luck with that unless you work at a machine shop
the newer 4.0's don't use external egr. They make up for it by changing the valve event timing. It you try to hook up the early egr, you will be duplicating that function on your engine. Not likely to be a benefit.

What electronics are you using, the Renix or the computer for the newer engine?

I'm still using the Renix. I just ordered a Borla for the '88. I may have to modify the downpipe. It was a steal at $385 as they said they've discontinued them. If you know somebody who needs one, now is the time...

Back