• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

head work

PowerRam1987

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys so i have come up on 210k miles in the 96 XJ and some preventative maintenance things are in order. i've owned it for a year and have no factual info about how well it was maintained or about previous owner. drove this thing straight out of the junkyard i work at. only needed a radiator and floors-it had quite a few new parts and fuel/brake lines so i assume someone was trying to maintain it lol

BACK TO THE TITLE so i want to do a head gasket and while i'm at it do some little stuff here and there for minor performance but keep my stock internals (not building a stroker yet haha)

i'm just going to buy another 96 head to build ahead of time
-open up the intake and exhaust ports
-match them to the manifolds
-deck the head .010 (i've read a lot of people take that much off-could i take more off for my stock application?)
-get a nice gasket between .040/.043 thickness (should be plenty of wiggle room with factory components)
-new studs/bolts
-new timing chain
-new water pump
-get rid of the clutch fan while i'm in there
-possibly 63mm throttle body

SO i'm looking for suggestions on or part #s for:
-some stock size valves OEM or better quality
-stronger valve springs factory fit
-who in the experience of the stroker guys makes a nice head gasket for 4.0s
-what hardware are you running? ARP, just grade 8 stuff, other name brands?
-is the MP double roller timing chain a good idea or is there something better?
-like i said earlier could i take more than .010 off the head or would there be not much more benefit?
motor is otherwise stock with a CAI, TB spacer, good flowing 2.5" exhaust

THANKS IN ADVANCE

-some stock size valves OEM or better quality
SSI makes some stainless swirl polished valves for the Magnum that would fit ours. There is a recent thread with part numbers. Close to stock size. Of course back cut them 30-32*.
-stronger valve springs factory fit
Why? Are you changing the camshaft? Using stiffer springs that the cam requires just wastes HP.
-who in the experience of the stroker guys makes a nice head gasket for 4.0s
Any of the MLS .043" gaskets are good. I prefer Carquest for their pricing usually.
-what hardware are you running? ARP, just grade 8 stuff, other name brands?
Stock head bolts.
-is the MP double roller timing chain a good idea or is there something better?
MP is just a market up Cloyes or other. Go with Cloyes or Rollermaster.
-like i said earlier could i take more than .010 off the head or would there be not much more benefit?
It would up your compression ratio a bit.

Don't match the head to the exhaust manifold. It will open up the exhaust ports too much. Just clean up the casting, remove any sharp lines, etc. If in doubt leave the intake manifold port smaller than the head and exhaust manifold larger. Check your gasket and make sure it doesn't get into the port.

Back