• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head Cracked! rebuild

My '01 just passed 73k and I'm hoping to avoid the head cracking problem, so far so good. But since I bought it new and plan on keeping it around forever I have already decided that the aluminum head is the way I'll go if mine cracks. I figure I'll make the most of the situation and use it as a convienient opportunity :) Besides I could never see paying someone to replace a head on a Jeep, so I'll put the labor towards the good parts.

One of the nicest things about the aluminum head, aside from the extra 30HP and 30lbs weight reduction, is in my opinion, that you can change the cam/lifters without pulling the head, sweet! Too bad the factory didn't cast any of the various iron heads like that.

2001XJeep said:
One of the nicest things about the aluminum head, aside from the extra 30HP and 30lbs weight reduction, is in my opinion, that you can change the cam/lifters without pulling the head, sweet! Too bad the factory didn't cast any of the various iron heads like that.

Agree with you on that one. It sucks to have to remove the head first to remove the lifters. I'm sure the factory could have made the pushrod holes bigger if they wanted to. I wonder if a machine shop could do that on an iron head?

I agree with 2001XJeep, if my stock one cracks, for the cost, the Hesco one would be what I would replace it with. Since I live in CA and need to pass smog, it has an EO# so it would be legal and they have the mounts for the coil pack. More power, less weight, easier work on (cam swaps), what more could you ask for? Well maybe lower price but it you're going to keep it for a long time, having the added security of not worring about the head cracking again and maybe doing even worse damage, that's priceless.

My .02 worth.

Dr. Dyno said:
Agree with you on that one. It sucks to have to remove the head first to remove the lifters. I'm sure the factory could have made the pushrod holes bigger if they wanted to. I wonder if a machine shop could do that on an iron head?

Part of the reason I'm collecting heads for analysis and reference...

5-90

hey 5-90 you still collecting heads? I just changed my head gasket on my 00' XJ 4.0 Auto just turned 71,000 miles and a week later I am realizing that I am joining the 0331 cracked head club. On monday I changed the head gasket and as of today my oil is up (via dipstick) and coolant in resivoir almost empty and the oil filler cap has sludge on it. :( Any ideas where to get a head and anybody want the old one??

Back