• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has Anyone Tried This Winch

I'd run this before a milemarker. Just from what others have said on them they seem to be about the cheapest made pieces of crap, and don't even ask about the hydro units...

Detour said:
, is that the new series, the EP? I've not heard anything about them except saw one housign cracked in half. Thats pretty good service though, definatly a plus.

The Ep/Epi series has been out for 2+ years, they're nothing new.
As far as a SW broken in half, I've read this once before, never a picture
actually produced.....? I for one have snapped the cable on a 9k during a
bad pull, another I sold one to snapped the cable on a very bad pull....but
nothing broken in half.......Best of my knowledge as of last week, their
repair dept dosent have a hole lot to do, yet SW cant keep up with the
demand sometimes........the Ep/Epi series ROCK!

I guess what I wanted to add to this topic was......customer service &
warranty work....who's going to do it on these imports?? Is it infact a
one time buy to save a few bucks? Im talking the Raymart/Champion
deals.......

with the cables breaking why not just go with a rope?

Weasel said:
Rope isn't necessarily strong then cable.
x2. They have a stronger breaking strenght, but that is for direct pulls only. Any side abrasions or the like and the rope will likely snap. But, the main selling point for many people is safety and being able to splice them on the trail if they do break.

What a lot of people don't realize is that breaking a winch cable takes a pretty extreme situation. Most motors are designed to cut out before the rated line limit is reached to prevent this type of thing. Just get yourself a blanket to drape over you cable, stand back a few feet, and winch yourself carefully.

I have worked with champion products in the past. They are coming out of the same factory that some of the major brands are using with the same molds. As far as their customer service, I don't think it can be beat. I have one of their generators that kept shutting down, I called the # on the unit and one of their tech's came to my house with the parts and fixed it (on New Years Eve) now that is service.

My .02

Well I have seen two of them in use, very noisy like a bearing is going and slow but they work but for the money I would rather spend a little more and get a Warn after hearing/seeing them

Weasel said:
I'd run this before a milemarker. Just from what others have said on them they seem to be about the cheapest made pieces of crap, and don't even ask about the hydro units...

Not a darn thing wrong with the Hydro MM, they are slow.....but they pull...all day.

Rev

It looks like your thread wandered off into a lot of different directions!

Hi, I'm from Calgary. I have that winch in my garage waiting to onto my rig. I paid $440 after taxes.

These gents aren't aware of how badly we get screwed on prices for gear up here. Gentlemen, a Warn 8000lb winch will run you close to a thousand dollars after taxes up here. A 6000lb Warn multi-mount is over $850 Canadian. Outfitted with 100' of wire rope,roller fairlead, and snatch block, like the Champion, the Warn 8000 lb is easily $1000 Canadian, if not more. The difference in price is enough to buy a bumper for the winch, or a drop in locker.

My (fairly limited) experience buying stuff from the US usually dictates that I figure on spending about 1.6-1.8 times the cost in US dollars,by the time I pay shipping, taxes, and exchange. Warn offers free shipping, but only within the continental US. So a $600US Warn M8000 ends up being a good $950 Can. by the time it reaches you.

Now, about the winch... Check these links.

http://www.island4x4.com/4x4tech/product_review/champion_winch/index.html

http://calgaryjeep.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=397&highlight=costco

We've had several Jeeps come into our shop with the Champion 8000lb winches. I've talked to a number of people about them. They all say the same thing. Good winch, but it's slow. The one you are looking at has a line speed of about 5.5 ft per minute, while the Warn M8000 pulls 8ft/minute. But, because of the small motor and big gear reduction, the current draw is really low. The Champion 8000lb unit draws 320 amps at full line pull, while the Warn draws 425 amps.

I originally bought the 8000lb Champion unit, but before i could do anything with it, I found this 9500lb unit for $23 more, so I exchanged them. I called Dixe Sales, in Woodstock, NB and talked to a tech there, as they carry Champion products. He said they've sold Champion winches for 2 years and are very pleased with them. He told me the Champion has been a good, solid product line with no real issues or concerns. He told me the 9500 lb unit was new, but electrically it was the same as the 8000 lb one, just with a deeper gear reduction (294:1 vs 210:1)

Geoff

Last edited:
That's not a bad deal on the Champion, especially with the multi mount basket. I really only go with Warn, but that's just me. I got a new M8000 Warn for $550 from 4 wheel parts, that and a 30' pull rope.

Having a fast line speed is over rated by many people, as long as the price is good, the winch is durable and does the job when called on, waiting a little longer isn't a biggy. Just crack open another beer and enjoy your escape from the hectic world!!! :wow:

I like to get stuck.. and my friend like to get really stuck and my 800lb champion has been working hard nearly every weekend I;ve had in the last 6 months..

Go Champion

CanadianCool said:
if you can get me tabour winches for $529 Canadian Ill take a dozen and sell them to the 4x4 club here in Prince George

And you'll have more enemies than than the Prime Minister too!'
I won a Tabor winch last year in a raffle at Tellico. I let it sit in the box in my office for almost a year before I put it on, in the meantime I never once spooled out any cable on my Harbor freight winch, not even an inch. I put the Tabor on and on the second ride out with it(yesterday) i had to winch up a rocky hill because of transmission problem. Damn Tabor wouldn't budge my Bronco, even with a snatch block. A warn 9k pulled me up just fine.
I am confident that the Harbor freight winch would hve pulled me just fine, as it had in the past, it's just very slow.

Back