• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

has anybody done the YJ steering box conversion???

CRASH said:
The 4th bolt on a 4 bolt box is falls about 1/2 way ver the top of the frame rail. You need to add a sleeve and weld it in with a reinforcement strap to keep it in place.

Is it worth it? Maybe. With an ORGS or CROK plate, you're probably fine with 3 bolts. With hydro as well, you'll definately be OK.

Thanks for the insight. I haven't gotten to take a look at it yet. It's probably not worth the hassle since I have never broken those bolts in the first place.

Jeep914x4 said:
Well, I drove 2 hours to answer my question and luckily, three of the 4 holes DO line up! I just purchased the C-rock inner spacer and you can't modify it to work. The extra hole is away from the brace. I might have something made up and utilize the extra bolt.

so how does it feel??? can you tell a difference between the XJ and YJ steering box ratio???

well the reasoning for doing it is supposed to be the different steering ratios.

other than saying that the durango box is better, has anybody ever looked up the steering ratio's in the durango box???

scorpio_vette said:
so how does it feel??? can you tell a difference between the XJ and YJ steering box ratio???

I haven't put it on yet. Just picked it up. I'll let you know.

The difference between the XJ and YJ box is that the XJ is variable ratio, YJ is fixed.

The Durango box has a larger bore. XJ is 3 inches and durango is 3.5.

I cross threaded my box and don't have the tools/time/patience to drill out the old bolt so I picked up a new box for $30 from a YJ.

scorpio_vette said:

I got the box on and don't really notice much of a difference. It feels a lot harder to turn the wheel now. It was much easier with the old box. I haven't drivin it much because I need to do an alignment but it took more effort to turn the wheels.

Do these boxes just use regular power steering fluid? I got a couple of bottles of STP Power Steering Fluid and drained the old fluid out.

would be interesting to see how it feels when you're in some ruts, rocks or other hard steering situation.

it does say that the XJ steering box was given the variable ratio for "comfort", so i'm wonderin if the "harder feeling" you are getting is the "regular ratio" but it'll be stronger when it counts.

keep us posted.

Ok, I have taken the jeep out but only once. I wasn't very impressed with the YJ box. It wasn't worse than my old box, but it wasn't better. However, at the end of the day I realized that the high pressure hose was leaking. I have not had a chance to fix it yet. Probably won't till at least next week. It's been snowing and it's hard to resist going skiing...

Scorpio Vette, I think your right about the hard feeling. It's probably the regular ratio kicking in instead of the comfort of the variable ratio. I've gotten used to it already. It was just different at first. I will let you guys know when I get the new hose on and try it out.

UPDATE!!

I have taken the jeep out a few more times with the hoses fixed and new fluid.

It does feel like it has more oomph in the rocks/snow/mud I have been playing in. It doesn't really make that graoning noise as much as it used to when you really crank it next to something anymore.

I would say if you can find one on the cheap it's worth it. My steering box was toast and I got this for cheap.

Any updates on this. Pics, etc?

Back