• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

harmonic balancer technique?

pbandj

NAXJA Forum User
am I going to start leaking right away? on my 88 4.0L I replaced the harmonic balancer and front crankseal and I didn't follow the instructions :exclamati I had the timing cover off and I "bench installed" the crankseal (that little buddy was soo brittle it took some serious persuasion, I don't think I could've done it on the jeep to save my life at least without some damage) and then I reinstalled the timing cover back on the block without "centering it with the harmonic balancer" which you are supposed to do with the old seal in place so you don't damage your new one, but I just let the 12 bolts that hold it center it (seems like 12 bolts would be pretty accurate?). then when I was installing my new balancer I had 0 clearance to tap it on with a soft faced mallet per instructions, hello- there's a crossmember welded in place right there! so I angled a 2x4 through a hole in the crossmember and whacked that sucker with my meat eating 24oz framing hammer and got about halfway onto the "keyed shaft" before all forward progress halted.... so I stuck the big retaining bolt in place and ratcheted the balancer the rest of the way on
BTW- yes I did grow up at the end of a dirt road :pig:
but seriously, I would like to know how mortal of a sin this was!

OH YEAH- and why did my harmonic balancer come with woodruff(sp?) keys???? I saw no use for them and they are still sitting on the bench.....

There is a half round key in the end of the crank, I always look close and make sure it hasn´t moved. If it gets canted in the slot, it can make getting the balancer back on, difficult to impossible.
If the balancer isn´t centered in the seal, it may wear out quickly. I usually grease everything up good (except the bolt), makes next time a whole lot easier.
I´ve always pulled the radiator out and the grill off and changed the seal on the Jeep. Probably could have done it without pulling the grill, but it does make things easier to see. The only hard part I remember, was getting the old seal out (which seemed way harder than I exspected) and the new seal started in straight.

Last edited:
8Mud said:
I usually grease everything up good (except the bolt), makes next time a whole lot easier.

LOL! my chiltons gives the "vibration damper center bolt" torque spec as "80ftlbs lubricated"!!

I use Loc Tite on the center bolt, lubricates going in and lowers the chance of it backing out. Have found a few loose center bolts over the years, once it was even gone.

Back