• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard starting when cold

Well alfman . Great news. But can you explain please. Is the ECU easy to open?
Are the solder joint easy to reach? Was the repair easy to do? Can you make a little -How To-? Mayby a pic or diagram.?
Because this is a very important item and very unknown.

'92 XJ

If you read his post it was taken to the dealer for the ECM repair. :gag:

Yea. I read it now , sorry, But in Holland, there is always a possibility to join the repair in the repairshop. So you learn it, and do the job the next time yourself. But maybe the situation in other countries is different.
Jeepers tell me, can you start a poll about this item. hahaha :yap:

I'm sure that they didn't really even know if it was good or bad. They just replaced it and it seemed to work. It could have been one of the plugs into it wasn't making good contact before they unplugged the old one and plugged in the new one. I always believe that 90% of the problems are with the connectors and not the component being replaced. But a dealership (or any "professional" mechanic) can't make much money unless he replaces something expensive. That's why D.I.Y. rules.

Always unplug and plug (or otherwise clean) connections before assuming (ass/u/me) the part is bad!

Hallo. I agree 100%. The knowledge in most workshop are on a very low level.
The realy good mechanics you have to seach for.
It's also, that there are coming each year too many types and models of cars to build up any technical knowhow. And....time is money. -----D.I.Y. :spin1:

It was an internal problem in the ECM. It was unpluged & pluged in & no change. In this case the only difference between the mechanic doing it & do it yourself was the cost of the part , the outcome was the same. As far as repairing an ECM thats what they have rebuilders for.

It was an internal problem in the ECM. It was unpluged & pluged in & no change. In this case the only difference between the mechanic doing it & do it yourself was the cost of the part , the outcome was the same. As far as repairing an ECM thats what they have rebuilders for.

The outcome was the same. So the mechanic diagnosed and replaced it for free? When they don't know what else to do, they replace the ECM! So, if you don't mind, what was the cost of the part?

It really would be a good idea for every XJ freak to get his/her hands on a good ECM to have on the shelf for future swaps/testing before they get rare. And the time to swap out and test a junkyard one is when yours is working good.

x2 on that.

Why would a mechanic replace it for free? By the outcome was the same, I ment the ECM was replaced as it was defective. Only reason I posted the outcome was to help others diagnose this type of problem which was no start when cold outside but it would start when warm outside. The ECM did not throw any codes & we had replaced other parts that were found to be defective as posted previously in this thread. If we had the availability of another ECM & knew for sure it was the problem we would have replaced it ourselves.
Once again, thank you to all that helped.

Last edited:
Hate to steel this post but I'm involved with the same problem on my 91.

The only thing thats different is that my fuel pump will not cycle at all.

So I have no power to the fuel pump and coil.

I've replace every thing from my running 92 into the 91 and vise versa and still nothing but all components are good working order in the 92.

One the out side temp is above 60 degrees Fahrenheit it starts right up and runs great.

This has been a year long battle and i could really use some fresh ideas on this one.

Items replace and checked:

CPS
TPS
coil
distributor
ECM
Fuel Pump
all under hood relays and fuses.
plugs
wires
cap
rotor