• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harbor freight bender?

I am going to say this again since nobody seemed to listen. Pipe vs Tube literally means nothing. Pipe simply means it is measured by internal diameter. You can get structural metal sized in terms of pipe,
look up A500 pipe in different grades. Than compare specs to similar size HREW and DOM. You can get very strong pipe sized steel. Are you going to get the best quality bends of the HF bender, no. Does it work, yes.
I agree 100%. My buddy has the stuff to do his exo and he bought structural grade pipe that is about 1 5/8" tube size so 1 1/4" pipe.

Pipes have a consistent ID regardless of wall thickness. In other words, a 1/2" high pressure pipe may need a 2" thick wall, but the ID will still only be 1/2" even tho the OD is 4.5".

Who the heck told you this?

I know squat about tube, but I fit pipe at least one day a week, for six years.

Pipe has a nominal size, and a "schedule" size, or wall thickness.

The OD is constant (a little bigger than the nominal), so the pipe will always fit in the same fittings. Then the higher the schedule, the thicker the wall, and the smaller the ID.

Now I suppose that with a small enough wall (sch10 maybe?) the ID might get as big as the nominal size. We use mostly sch40 and 80, so I can't say for sure. But I can say that the "constant ID" just ain't so.

And one other thing: some of our presses run to thousands, even tens of thousands of pounds of pressure, all in sch80 (about 1/4-5/16" wall). I can't imagine anything needing 2" walls on 1/2" line.

Sounds made up to me, by someone who doesn't know what they're talking about...

Robert

hell i dont know what i'll do ill probly just buy a used tube bender and use 1.75"-2" (and 1.5" for the gussets) hrew tubing. now i just have to.......

1. make a cage design

2.finish bumpers and rock rails

3.make sure to save up the money while doing these things

4. find a good used bender (or mabye new depending on price)

5. buy the materials and put it all together

and somewhere inbetween all that i have to install my new lift when it gets here and also do my axle swap..............well looks like i'll be busy as hell here shortly. :)

Back