• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hack and tap

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
I have around 4" on my 99 231 and vibes only over 70. i got some extra money laying around and have been trying to decide what to do. what are the other advantages of an sye and cv shaft other than getting rid of vibes, which arent a very big issue for me now. My t-case is already sealed at the output shaft so fluid loss is not a problem. benefits? TIA

Ramsey said:
I have around 4" on my 99 231 and vibes only over 70. i got some extra money laying around and have been trying to decide what to do. what are the other advantages of an sye and cv shaft other than getting rid of vibes, which arent a very big issue for me now. My t-case is already sealed at the output shaft so fluid loss is not a problem. benefits? TIA
If I had to do it again, I'd do the HD SYE. Reason I did hack and tap is taht it was supposed to take less time, but RE messed up the shipping and it ended up taking just as long.

i just dont have the no how to take apart the t-case and would rather do the simpler thing. what shaft can i mate up to the hack and tap, will a tomwoods shaft bolt right up. if so what is his website. again thanks

edit:does re have a cv shaft, i did not see it on their site
once more: ok i am stupid, i found it

Last edited:
actually, you don't need to buy a NEW rear driveshaft. With around 4" of lift, you can find a front XJ driveshaft which is a CV shaft (go look at yours if you don't believe me) and it will bolt right up with the RE hack and tap and your rear. The only thing you will want to add is a new u-joint and straps. I got this info from Jason (aka Jeepin.com) and he says his front and rear driveshafts are interchangeable. I took a look fro myself and sure enough it works. The strength issue was my only concern, and from what I have gathered, those that have used front driveshafts claim that they are plenty strong. One guy even compared is 300 dollar tom woods to a used front shaft and the differences were negligible.

yeah i have heard that plenty, but i hope to go over my 4" mark once i get the sye and a new track bar, so i might as well get one now that will work then.

Bert said:
actually, you don't need to buy a NEW rear driveshaft. With around 4" of lift, you can find a front XJ driveshaft which is a CV shaft (go look at yours if you don't believe me) and it will bolt right up with the RE hack and tap and your rear. The only thing you will want to add is a new u-joint and straps. I got this info from Jason (aka Jeepin.com) and he says his front and rear driveshafts are interchangeable. I took a look fro myself and sure enough it works. The strength issue was my only concern, and from what I have gathered, those that have used front driveshafts claim that they are plenty strong. One guy even compared is 300 dollar tom woods to a used front shaft and the differences were negligible.

The front drive shaft only works with the HD SYE's, the non-Currie ones have the wrong flange. I know, my local Drive Shaft shop messed mine up and had to redo it. They gave me one that will work with the Currie flange, I have a AA SYE.

As far as install of a HD SYE, it is easier than you think. If you don't have as much confidence, take it slow, just take inventory of where everything was. I didn't even have to pull the tcase out. Just ask yourself, what if it breaks on the trail, you'll end up replacing the case or at least breaking it open anyway to fix it.

ChuckD said:
The front drive shaft only works with the HD SYE's, the non-Currie ones have the wrong flange. I know, my local Drive Shaft shop messed mine up and had to redo it. They gave me one that will work with the Currie flange, I have a AA SYE.

As far as install of a HD SYE, it is easier than you think. If you don't have as much confidence, take it slow, just take inventory of where everything was. I didn't even have to pull the tcase out. Just ask yourself, what if it breaks on the trail, you'll end up replacing the case or at least breaking it open anyway to fix it.

nope, with a companion flange from currie or re or even spicer you can mate the re hack and tap and an xj front shaft. i haven't done it yet, but i've researched it plenty.

do a search on front driveshaft or companion flange.

if i'm wrong, i've been seriously mislead.

yeah all that is needed is the spicer part. anyways to get back on topic, what are the other benefits of an sye

Back