• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H.D. Offroad Engineering Roof slider install

I've got one of the 1% of XJs without the factory rack.

Could I just use the risers as a template to drill the holes, and use a nut n washer on the underside? Or is there more to the factory mount?

That, or you could use well nuts if you didn't want to pull down your headliner.

Edit: too slow.

You could drill holes and use nuts and washers from teh bottom, or you could use nutserts...

Cool.

My headliner's long gone, so access would be fine...

I can believe they'll spread the load of a pretty good hit, perfect for the stuff we do.

Any idea what they weigh?

Thanks, and look great...

Robert

I dont think it will interfere with a safari snorkel. It will be close, but I think it will clear. You could eaisly make it fit though.

I, of course, would be happy to be the test bitch for HD O.E to see for sure if they fit. :rolleyes:

DSCN0538.jpg

DSCN0537.jpg

~James

side shot
P9120016.jpg

Nice HD, very nice. If those fail, I promise the owner of the rig will never know they failed, I'm saying on side impact, not rollover. I helped build the ones on Pats rig and they are nothing close to the material those are. Plus Pats as abusive to his roof sliders as he is his rock rails.

Hank

Looks good, been planning to do this for awhile and glad to see someone making them.

Suggestions:
As previously stated, bend or roll the ends to tuck into the roof line. Stuff I wheel in has lots of leaning into canyon walls and trees of which I could see a tree or rock catching under the tube.

End caps to keep them sealed, although if they are bent one could fab the end caps up easy enough.

Lower the roof mounts, I like how they attach but seems they are taller then needed. Also is there a reason the all bolt on? Can it be welded solid?

Looks good, been planning to do this for awhile and glad to see someone making them.

Suggestions:
As previously stated, bend or roll the ends to tuck into the roof line. Stuff I wheel in has lots of leaning into canyon walls and trees of which I could see a tree or rock catching under the tube.

End caps to keep them sealed, although if they are bent one could fab the end caps up easy enough.

Lower the roof mounts, I like how they attach but seems they are taller then needed. Also is there a reason the all bolt on? Can it be welded solid?

Like stated befor, if you know you will be getting into rocks they will need to be reinforced.

I am working on getting caps for the ends.

Roof mounts have to be that high for the cross bars to be straight and clear the roof.

As far as welding them together, I made them bolt toogether so it can be broken down and shipped without killing you guys on shipping costs. I say once you have them and can weld go for it.

Nice HD, very nice. If those fail, I promise the owner of the rig will never know they failed, I'm saying on side impact, not rollover. I helped build the ones on Pats rig and they are nothing close to the material those are. Plus Pats as abusive to his roof sliders as he is his rock rails.

Hank

Yeah, I've seen Pat in a rock garden. He beat the tar out of those rails. If its better than something you built Gene thats saying something! You showed me the handy work you did on those links for that XRRA buggy! It may be a while before i can order a set but i'd like to have some.

I think for what I do they would be more than sufficient. So if you have a small Jeep like mine, do the easier trails and like keeping windows these are for you! :D Keep it up Brian!

I like this setup. I would be all for some if they had some end caps on there. I'd also have to see if they would work ok with my airflow snorkel.

020.jpg

Wish these were out a year ago when I bought my Olympic Top-Hat. Looks like a very nice product that is long overdue, way to step-up and build things that XJ people really need. ;)

Like stated befor, if you know you will be getting into rocks they will need to be reinforced.

I am working on getting caps for the ends.

Roof mounts have to be that high for the cross bars to be straight and clear the roof.

As far as welding them together, I made them bolt toogether so it can be broken down and shipped without killing you guys on shipping costs. I say once you have them and can weld go for it.

thanks.

Yes they are square spreaders, 1" sq, .120 wall. And AMP is correct on the dom.....

I think I would like these even more if the side tubes sat flush on the drip rails. I've rubbed the crap out of my rails on trees, I think welding the side tubes right to the rails would make the whole thing super strong.

I guess technically this rack could serve as the start of a halo for an interior/exo cage? Just add triangulation? I'm glad someone finally took my suggestion of a roof rack that directly took place of the stock rack with the bolt on rails. Good job guys.

Oh, and a snowboard rack would fit on this, right?

I think I would like these even more if the side tubes sat flush on the drip rails. I've rubbed the crap out of my rails on trees, I think welding the side tubes right to the rails would make the whole thing super strong.

Oh, and a snowboard rack would fit on this, right?

I would think you could add a snowboard rack pretty easy.

It wouldn't be too hard for someone to add a couple tabs that run from the rub rails to the gutter (something that fits in the gutter) and weld in place. You are correct this would make them very strong.

Back