• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Group Buy!

bburge

Lost in Translation
Well, it should be; as in - everybody in the group should probably have some of this stuff.

Everyone in the group should probably buy this for their first aid kit.

Considering the time that might elapse between a serious injury and medical assistance, "bleeding out" is a seldom, but major issue. A bad slice in camp, slip of the wrench on a jagged part on the trail, a bleeder can be hard to control.

This stuff looks awesome!

http://www.z-medica.com/quikclot/index.asp

and here's a decent place to buy it:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/quikclot.html

If someone is bleeding bad, the time to get a chopper in can be too late. Even if they're not "bleeding out", being "shocky" can make it difficult to get someone off the trail in a reasonable about of time.

bburge

Quick clot has saved many lives in Iraq and Afghanistan. I would ONLY recommend it in case of severe trauma.

Good to have in the bag of tricks though.

GI-John said:
Quick clot has saved many lives in Iraq and Afghanistan. I would ONLY recommend it in case of severe trauma.
That can't be emphasized enough. Keep in mind that in most cases where this is used is where there is massive bleed out and not too long after the wound is treated. You can run into some serious problems if you use quick clot or some sort of setup like that (liquid skin as well) incorrectly. When agents like that are applied you end up trapping EVERYTHING which might lead to infections. Granted that if bleeding out is the other option that is a risk worth taking but if the wound is not serious enough it might cause more harm then good.

Good to have in the bag of tricks though.
Definately :D Better to have and not need it then need it and not have it.

While it does work, and work well. It is not for the minor cuts. Unless you have a massive cut, like you cut your hand off DO NOT USE Quikclot!

There is a chemical reaction that basically cartarizes (sp) the wound. That means it burns like fire! It hurts really bad! I had to use it on a guy and he was happy it worked but said it hurt worse than the IED.

Read some more of their info. They are offering more limited applications of the product AND a new formulation to reduce heat creation.

I wouldn't use it on a paper cut, but I've had some some cuts that I had trouble getting to stop bleeding that might have been bad news if I couldn't.

You don't have to lose an arm. Cut off the end of your finger and get back to me... Fall, hard, against the broken end of a U joint ear. Yes, great for a gunshoot wound (Iraq) but let's pigeon hole it...

bburge

shelbyluvv said:
While it does work, and work well. It is not for the minor cuts. Unless you have a massive cut, like you cut your hand off DO NOT USE Quikclot!

There is a chemical reaction that basically cartarizes (sp) the wound. That means it burns like fire! It hurts really bad! I had to use it on a guy and he was happy it worked but said it hurt worse than the IED.
I gotta agree with boh here...that shit burns and is only supposed to be used in situations similar to the one boh provided...

Maybe someone could give a class or two about controlling bleeding.
Pressure, elevation....tourniquet? How many people know how to do one properly?
It's just an idea, but I do like the fact that someone wants to be well prepared.

John

GI-John said:
Maybe someone could give a class or two about controlling bleeding.
Pressure, elevation....tourniquet? How many people know how to do one properly?
It's just an idea, but I do like the fact that someone wants to be well prepared.

John
Btw, here's couple tidbits about tourniquets:
1. If you apply one, do not remove it! Only EMS folks should remove a tourniquet after one has been applied.

2. If you apply one, expect to loose the limb that it was applied to.

Again, this should be used as a LAST resort after all other options have been exhausted.

Kejtar said:
Btw, here's couple tidbits about tourniquets:
1. If you apply one, do not remove it! Only EMS folks should remove a tourniquet after one has been applied.

2. If you apply one, expect to loose the limb that it was applied to.

Again, this should be used as a LAST resort after all other options have been exhausted.

what he said!

Back