• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grin's WJ Build Thread

I've been layin tile, man! Off to the salt mines I go...

How'd the remodeling turn out?

Pretty well, I have now redone 2 of our 3 bathrooms (not the boys', they're slobs anyways), plus added the 4th in the basement.

Totally re-did the main-floor 1/2 bath, all new fixtures, tile, replaced the regular door with a pocket door (used to open into the basement door across the hall, sucked), new vanity, light fixtures and crown molding:
PC110181.jpg

PC110182.jpg

Master bath we replaced the single vanity with new cabinets, double sinks, new counters, new fixtures, added a medicine cabinet, glass tile backsplash, new tile floor with under-tile heat mat... I started this project in April as a b-day present to Sheila, but we decided to have some fun over the summer instead of working every weekend, so it stalled out for a while:
PC110183.jpg

Edit:

Here's my first bath-build, the bath we added in our basement a couple years ago, again with the heated tile floor and glass tile details... off to the garage today!
PC110184.jpg

PC110185.jpg

Last edited:
I had a photobucket meltdown, so reposting post #76 above...:

allright, well, page 6 and... holy shit, I got to work.

After finishing two bathroom remodels (pics of those to follow shortly, the better half is applying paint...), I finally got it in the garage and started on the dark, depressing task of replacing the heater core (stage 1), which will be followed by lift, t-case rebuild and axle swap, hood refinish... (stage 1a-zz?)...

Here she is in the driveway, bone stock and ready to come into the garage for the last time in that state (I think):
PC040169.jpg

PC040168.jpg

The hood's clear coat is fubar, haven't decided whether to just buff it off, or buff it off and hit it with some satin black until I can afford to get MAACO...
PC040170.jpg

Headlights are completely clouded, so I'll give em a try with some buffing stuff/sandpaper, and replace them with some cooler units if that fails:
PC040175.jpg

What was waiting in the garage...
PC040166.jpg

PC040167.jpg

PC040172.jpg

aaaand, she's IN:
PC040173.jpg

two hours and 5 baggies of bolts/nuts, and maybe 10 more to go on the heater issues:
PC040180.jpg

I'm hopeful to get the core done tomorrow, maybe sunday morning, then get the front end up in the air on the lift springs so Frank can take some measurements for trac-bar/draglink building. With some luck and a little time off after x-mas, I may have her back on the road early in '11...

heater core, or any HVAC work for that matter on a WJ, to quote the Diceman, sucks dick on horseback...

I had toyed with discharging the AC and replacing the evaporator while I was in there, but opted not to. Talked with Frank yesterday and he advised that when doing the heater core in the XJ, he didn't have to pull the whole dash, just get it lose enough to pivot the passenger side back and access the core... so, I gave that a try, and my boy Riley and I were feeling confident around noon yesterday:
PC110186.jpg

PC110187.jpg

Turns out, the WJ HVAC systems are in a "module", and you have to pull the whole MF to work on any part of its, so the AC got discharged, and the whole dash came out:

here's the module:
PC120193.jpg

and its out:
PC110188.jpg

the old heater core was absolutely corroded to hell:
PC110192.jpg

new one looks pretty:
PC110191.jpg

There was just a touch of gunk, leaves, and other kitch in the HVAC module:
PC110190.jpg

But, she's done, module, dash and steering are all back in, did the blend-door repair while I was at it so my dual climate control should be back in operation... heater hoses were shot and I had to cut them out, so I ordered up some new OEM's, and will slap those in next week sometime. In the meanwhile, I'll start on the t-case build...:cheers:

Chris. When you go to do the headlights let me know.
Ya wanna keep the lights and sandpaper as wet as possible the entire time. I usually start at 400 grit then go to 1k and then 2k if needed. Once it's all sanded down rinse it off really well then hit it with a buffer and some good compound :thumbup:
Speed and heat just hurt ya. Moderate speed and repitition is best way to get good results.

Thanks, Mike -- I picked up a rainx kit that has great reviews from the WJ crowd, we'll see how it goes... its a couple items down on the priority list.

Forgot to say how good the bathrooms look! I really like the corner pieces you used on the crown moulding... Definately give them a unique look. Tile looks great to. Did my guy John get the drywall patches buttoned up for you?

John was the man, thanks for the reference. I like the crown corners, but to be honest I used them because I have ZERO skills at the compound miters necessary for regular crown corners...

Compound miter saws are a love hate relationship for me. I was forced to make a jig when I did 350 feet of it last summer. Then again, walls are rarely ever square which makes for quite a few donations into the cuss jar... Which I'm sure you found out.

Jim, for you I would do it for $1000, and nillas. It sucked that much. I think my normal "shop rate" would be closer to $2k, after all the suckage fees were added in. ;)

put some hours in today on the LIFT!:guitar:

LPD30 is out:
PC180195.jpg

PC180196.jpg

JK HPD30 is in, along with the Tera 4" front lift coils (that is my amazing "no-link" design you see there... ;)):
PC180198.jpg

Old vs. New coils:
PC180197.jpg

Clayton crossmember is in and ready to weld up:
PC180200.jpg

PC180201.jpg

manana I plan on getting the front arms in, and likely starting on the 231 tcase rebuild/swap! :D

I mean this in the most constructive way possible, but I hope you are getting some help with welding that crossmember in place. I know a guy down your way...

If you're asking if I intend to weld it up with a flux core machine - negative ghost rider, there are certain applications where I think more voltage is in order. Got it covered. ;)

got the front control arms knocked out before the tebow-show yesterday...
Cut off the old lower control mounts and prepped em for paint:
ftarms001.jpg

painted:
ftarms002.jpg

front control arms in:
ftarms003.jpg

ftarms004.jpg

I may have the front end on 33's by the weekend so I can get started on the rear - I kinda like having two wheels on the ground at any given time... multiple jackstands make me nervous.:repair:

Back