• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

grinding noise

Matt98XJ said:
Noise travels through metal.
Matt is right on. It's really hard to pin down a noise on an XJ since the uni-body design sends it though the whole chassis. the biggest reason you feel it under your feet is that is the part where you are really touching the body. If you were sitting in the other seats, you would feel it through the floor too.

I just got back from the 4x4 shop (it was the tire shop that couldn't find anything). I had the owner hop in the Jeep with me so I could be sure he heard the right thing. He immediately said it was the DS. He says a SYE will fix it almost guaranteed. For a lot less money replacing the bearings and a new driveshaft MIGHT fix it, might not. I swear it sounds like the problem is the front drivers side, but when I crane my neck as far back as I can it DOES kinda sound like it could be coming from the rear. I'd have to sit in the back seat while someone else drove to be sure, but I think the sound is travelling up and down the driveline.

I need to do some checking, but from talking to them my options for a SYE are limited, more expensive and less strength, because I have a 242.

I am experiencing the exact same problem, so I pulled the front ds a while ago thinking it was the problem, and the sound persisted. However i only get the sound when I'm decelerating. I seem to have located the problem by accident though. I put a bunch of weight in the back of the jeep trying to get my new springs to settle and the sound totally went away, because with the weight in the back it sits level. So it's gotta be coming from the rear somewhere, and has to be associated with the hight it's sitting at. I'm doing my SYE this weekend so I'll see if that cures the problem.

AZ XJ said:
I am experiencing the exact same problem, so I pulled the front ds a while ago thinking it was the problem, and the sound persisted. However i only get the sound when I'm decelerating. I seem to have located the problem by accident though. I put a bunch of weight in the back of the jeep trying to get my new springs to settle and the sound totally went away, because with the weight in the back it sits level. So it's gotta be coming from the rear somewhere, and has to be associated with the hight it's sitting at. I'm doing my SYE this weekend so I'll see if that cures the problem.

Seems like you guys have bad rear angles. All the weight in the rear, making it squat, is relieving all the stress on the rear drive line. Drop your TC or get a SYE...

jeepinxj99, I'm takin a shot in the dark here... wheel bearing/hub

Last edited:
Bowzer said:
Seems like you guys have bad rear angles. All the weight in the rear, making it squat, is relieving all the stress on the rear drive line. Drop your TC or get a SYE...

jeepinxj99, I'm takin a shot in the dark here... wheel bearing/hub

I actually do have a 1" t case drop installed and it still made the noise. I'm doing my sye this weekend so we'll see if that takes care of it.

AZ XJ said:
I actually do have a 1" t case drop installed and it still made the noise. I'm doing my sye this weekend so we'll see if that takes care of it.
I would pull your t-case drop out when you do the SYE. It will serve no purpose to leave it in there. Why lose an extra inch of GC when you are doing a SYE.

i officially hate t case drops because i stripped the bolt on accident causing me to have it fixed soon(might have to be welded). so yall think a sye will fix my problems with vibratoins and the grinding noise?

GirlScout1 said:
I would pull your t-case drop out when you do the SYE. It will serve no purpose to leave it in there. Why lose an extra inch of GC when you are doing a SYE.

I did. Just finished it today. The sye fixed everything. A T-case drop is just a temp fix at best. For anybody that doesn't have an sye, get one. It's worth the money.

jeepinxj99 said:
did the sye fix all vibrations? what drive shaft did u go with?

Every last one. I just used my stock front driveshaft, and got a new front that I pulled from my local pick-a-part.

jeepinxj99 said:
and the front drive shaft is a perfect fit?

Much to my suprise yea. I have a Rusty's 4.5" lift which sits more like 5.5-6" and I thought the shaft would be a hair too short. But it bolted up just like the stock rear driveshaft did and seems to be just fine. If I wanted to get picky, I could stand to have it extended like 1/2 inch, but it will do for now. The length would be perfect with a true 4.5" lift.

Also, I have the 8.25 rear which has a longer pinion than the d35, and the shaft I got at the yard is out of a 93xj with a 242 case (exactally the same driveshaft as the 231 rigs)

Back