• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grease Fitting Question/Suggestions

ihscoutlover

NAXJA Forum User
I recently replaced front axle u-joints with new units that have a cap drilled for a fitting. The fitting that came with them has a slot for a slotted screwdriver, and looks like its kind of depressed to fit a grease gun adapter. I thought my needle adapter fit them, but did not. I bought these joints specifically to keep grease in there, as the ones I removed had hardly any, and were not serviceable. Thoughts, grease gun adapters, or zerk suggestions?? Is there a trick to posting pictures here. I cannot seem to do it here or from my iPhone, which has the pictures on it. Thanks for the help,

Jeff

Last edited:
I'll tell you what I ended up doing. I have a whole (small) box of assorted Zirk fittings, about any size imaginable and never found a match to the threads for the slotted fitting you have. Maybe just bad luck, maybe I didn't search long enough, maybe there isn't one.

I did find a brass screw with the same threads and drilled through the center (I am talented with a hand drill) and silver soldered a Zirk fitting on the end after drilling the back side to fit. I now unscrew the slotted cap, put my homemade adapter in there grease it and replace the slotted fitting. I thought about drilling the back of a Zirk and cutting threads to fit my screw, but had the torch handy so used that.

They say there is an a adapter for the grease gun especially for this fitting, I've never come across one. Again, maybe just bad luck or I didn't search hard and long enough.

There may be a Zirk with matching threads out there somewhere, you could use that, then replace the low profile (slotted) fitting. I imagine they put that slotted fitting in there for clearance, but I have had axle U-joints with standard Zirks (though kind of low profile) that worked fine and never had any issues.

I eventually came to the conclusion that the grease-able axle U-joints didn't really last any longer than the standard type and stopped buying them. Some people may argue this, just my experience.

I recently replaced front axle u-joints with new units that have a cap drilled for a fitting. The fitting that came with them has a slot for a slotted screwdriver, and looks like its kind of depressed to fit a grease gun adapter. I thought my needle adapter fit them, but did not. I bought these joints specifically to keep grease in there, as the ones I removed had hardly any, and were not serviceable. Thoughts, grease gun adapters, or zerk suggestions?? Is there a trick to posting pictures here. I cannot seem to do it here or from my iPhone, which has the pictures on it. Thanks for the help,

Jeff

There are various grease adapters, there is one that will fit a "cup-type" zerk (that's what you have, in this case.)

There's also an "extension" adapter in order to hit a zerk in an internal corner in the trunnion - you'll need to find a few, by the time it's all done.

The purpose of the cut-type zerk is to reduce the protrusion from the cap (or whatever other moving part the zerk is screwed into) so it doesn't run into any other part nearby.

However, the correct adapter for that grease fitting type is available, just takes some looking to find it, usually. Skip the chain stores - check the smaller locals or mom & pop shops, some hardware stores may have it as well. And, MRO houses are quite likely to have it, as they're common in machinery.

I don't suggest replacing it with a regular "ball-type" zerk, because the standard zerk sticks out about three times as far, and could smack into something else when you're not looking (you should figure that if something different got used in some location, there may be a good reason for it...)

I don't recall exactly what the adapter looked like, but I do recall not having too much trouble locating one (at a small local parts house, not C/S/K, Autozone, or anything like that.) And, I'm sure it was less than $10 - but this was a couple of whiles ago...

The "long reach" adapter for the standard zerk can also be made to work with the cup-type fitting, but it takes a bit of effort to make sure it's lined up with the cup properly, and you'll need to keep it pressed in and make sure that the screwdriver slots don't compromise the adapter seal against the cup.

Back