• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grant's CO Trek Schedule -aka "the Triple Double Black

[quote:ee531157b7="Grant"]Mt Blanca
Grant and Carol
Goatman and his Dad
Erik

Then BV
Troy and Shari - Yellaheep
Bob Loose
Crunch (?)

CO-XJ'ers
Aaron Storms
Joe Furlong
Led
Scott M - Vail
Brian - Vail (possibly)

OK who have I missed?[/quote:ee531157b7]

Grant,
I'm planning on making the Holy Cross run with you all. I'll probably meet everybody at the trail head then camp that night.
Is it still looking like a Thursday/Friday run to Holy Cross?

Thanks.

Eric "Cheezer"
CO-XJ'er

OK Cheezer, got you for Holy Cross. Most likely it will be run on Fri/Sat, all depending on how Mt blanca goes on Tuesday

Sounds good!

I'll keep an eye on this and the CO-XJ list for further details.

Cheezer

Hey Goatman,
I don't know if anyone else has been up Antero, but I went up there in October before I went to Moab. A stock XJ could do this road,but there's not much room on the trail and some very tight switchbacks which wouldn't be a problem until you get to the top where there's very little room IIRC to get turned around. It is over 14 but you'll have a small hike to get to the top. Once you get there, the view is amazing. It's worth doing but I wouldn't recommend lot's of people going together though, if somebody else is coming the other way there aren't alot of options for passage. Just my opinion. Crunch

Crazy Horse

Grant or Goatman,
I just talked to Crazy Horse and I'll be willing to cancel my plans at the bed and breakfast if you guys will be staying at CH. The girl told me that they rent tents for $10 a night which would save me $50 a night including the campsight. Please keep us informed if this is the plan, and if it is planned like this, count me as a definite. I still have to cancel at the B&B but don't want to do that until I know what's up. I really appreciate all that you guys do in researching this info especially with this not even being an official event. It bothers me just doing this stuff for myself, I can't imagine doing it for groups of people. Thanks for all you do :D , Crunch

Grant, because we all won't be there all the nights, I think it wil depend on how many are there from the CO XJlist, and which nights, to know if the group site will work. It probably will work, it may cost a few of us a little more for a couple of nights if there are less than 10, which is the minimum, but would be cheaper for the other nights at just $6 per person. If we could get a real quick count of how many for each night the decision would be easy.

It looks like BV is a little over an hour drive from Alamosa, is that right? I wouldn't mind commiting to driving back to BV on Tuesday after Mt Blanca, especially since we'll be staying in Alamosa on Monday night. Are any of you, besides Erik and I, going to drive to Alamosa on Monday? if we drive back to BV Tues night it would help with us getting the group site. Also, it would assure us of running Holy Cross on Thurs and Fri, leaving Sat and Sun open to run other trails with the Denver folks.

What do you all think, it would be nice and easy if we could swing the group site. Any chance they'd let us slide on the 10/$60 minimum for a night or two if we had over that the other days? I'll be there with two people from Tues or Wed night through Sun night.

Who else is going to run Blanca?

Richard G

No on Alamosa for me on Monday. Yes for me for Tuesday thru Saturday at Crazy Horse. I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but can I use a Coleman stove with the fire bans that are in effect?
Crunch

I'd really like to stay at a CG with you all and share in the group experience, but Shari rarely gets to "get away" and really wants A/C, a real bed, etc. She offered to stay behind and let me go it alone because it sounded like "guys only" kind of trip. I told her "not a chance" -- she's a fantastic co-pilot and a helluva videographer! She's also a big part of the reason my rig got $3000 in improvements! (She makes more $$$ than I do -- God bless her! :D )
So anyway, yes, we'd like to spend the evenings with the group at the CG then we'll retire to our fancy little abode 'till morning.
Crunch -- definitely take advantage of the rent-a-tent thing and save you some dough!

Richard, Alamosa is about 2 hours and 45 minutes from Buena Vista. Of course that depends on how fast you drive...but a group of lifted XJ's isn't going to make stellar time, especially with all the RV's on those 2 lane highways.

Nay

OK - hope I cover most of the concerns above. Here goes.

I would allow three hours from the trailhead at Mt Blanca to BV, but as it looks like only Richard and myself at present, that could be 2 hrs 15 minutes. again, it all depends on Mt blanca, but with such a small group we can easily be off the mountain by 4 pm and BV by 7pm - it gets dark around 8:30pm. I too would prefer to make the drive to BV on Tuesday, rather than Wed am.

However, we need to allow for possible breakage and such, so as long as we have our camping gear, we may camp short of BV on Tues. Crazy Horse would definitely work for Wed, and Thurs. again it looks like a relatively small group so Holy Cross would be feasible to go up and down, meaning we could camp again Friday night then run Old Chinaman's gulch on sat with the CO guys.

that would be Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat for group camping at Crazy Horse - total $240. Are there going to be ten people camping? Grant, Carol, Richard, Dad, Erik, Crunch (?), - then Cheezer, Scott M, Aaron Storms for later in the week. WHO ELSE?

REPLY soon, so we can make a group reservation by Friday - OK?

I'd have to pretty much agree with Nay. Even with your bloated, big rigs :) , you probably could make good time between Alamosa and Villa Grove - (plenty of places to pass on that stretch) - but that 35 miles between Poncha Pass and BV is a nightmare this time of year - little geezers in white socks, black shoes, and shorts piloting their Gargantua 55's (towing CRV's), streaming north to Leadville!

( But, I still wish I could go :( Have a great time! )

Mike in NJ

Grant,
I can't tell if the question mark is because you don't remember who I am or because you're not sure about my plans. If the first is true, white '00, I ran Pritchetts with you at Fall Fling,you'll remember when you see me. If the second is true, I'm good for Crazy Horse Tuesday thru Saturday nights. Also, I think Bloose, his wife and their two children were also going there, but not positive. I'll be solo.
Thanks

Yo Grant! I'm in for Mt. Blanca! I'm used to people ignoring me, but please do it in person! Seriously, I already made a reservation at Alamosa KOA for Mon. and Tues. I can always cancel Tues. night. If we stay Tues night then we can leave our gear at the CG while wheeling, but if we drive to BV Tues. night, then we have more time for wheeling on Wed (I'll probably skip the trip to tomken). I don't know the trails so you make the call.If it's only you, me, and Richard, then we may be able to make short time of Mt. Blanca, although I'm thinking of going back to 31's just to make it more of a challenge. I prefer to stay at Crazy Horse, just tell me how many nights. I understood that on Friday we would be camping on a trail somewhere, which sounds like the best night of all to me. I think that I'll have to start driving back home on Sat. afternoon, we'll see how long it takes me to drive out there.

Hey kids, don't forget the Crazy Horse (800-888-7320) also has cabins! Prices range from $36 for a tent cabin to $81 for the "Deluxe" cabin (I think you get a little French maid with the deluxe cabin, but my doctors say that I have a problem separating fantasy from reality, so call and ask)

Camping

First of all, Shari BETTER come Troy, or Christine will be PISSED at me!!! She is not the greatest co-pilot, and if she is the only wife there I am in BIG trouble.

Second, we are planning to camp. I would like to make a reservation at CH this week. We will be brining our camper and it would be a huge help if we have electricity and water. It is not the end of the world to have it but if it is available we will want to take advantage of it. We will roll in on Tuesday and wheel Wed-Fri.

Third, Crunch there is no reason to pay $10/night to rent a tent. I will bring my Eureka tent with. It is 11x11 and you can stand up in it. The price for you will be a few Coronas. It packs up small so it is no problem to bring. I would offer a spot inside the trailer but I doubt you want to be up all night listening to kids cry. :D We will be in Tue and leave Sat morning. I don't know how that will work out for you but if you are leaving after Sat we can work something out.

Troy, don't sweat your luxo digs. If it were up to Christine we would be at the B+B too. But I am way too cheap for that. :oops: Plus we have to get some use out of the Camper. If you divide the price by the number of uses so far I think we are at $1000/use. :shock: Not too bad hey! :D

B-loose

Hey Bob,
I thank you very much for the offer, but I figured for the money I'll be saving doing this camping deal, I'm going to buy a tent. Living in CO now I'll be getting good use out of it, plus it'll make my several trips a year to Moab :lol: more affordable.
Thanks again and again.........,

I'm leaving for a three day wheeling trip in the Sierra's, and so won't be around for additional comments until Sunday night or Monday morning. I am perfectly content to go with whatever arrangements are made......group site or not.

I'm really looking forward to this trip. :lol:

Richard G

colorado trip in BV area

:roll: hello first time on this new forum, I am going to try to drive out on Wed 31st camp at CH with you guys and do that Iron Chest on thursday and Holly Cross on Fri and then whatever works out for Sat then I got to go back home on Sunday....are reservations necessary or can I just show up with my tent, and what channel on the cb will you guys be on for this group :?: ...and are there any short night runs we could do wednesday night. :?: ..I think I will be at CH around 6p.m....thanks for any info and I look forward to meeting you all. :) ..Might bring the wife and daughter....talk at ya later..

who, what, why, when, where??

Hey, guys, I'm in the K.C. area for a few days, VERY limited internet access. I still have reservations at Lakeview for the 29th for 5 days. Hopefully I'll get a reply to this & be able to see it before I head west. My access is in an RV park office, so can't stay online long enough to read all the posts. Briefly scanned a few of 'em, seems like something going on in B.V. Could someone email me direct whos gonna be where & when? I'd sure appreciate it. email is [email protected]. cell nbr is (321) 432-6289. When I leave here around the 20th or 21st I plan on staying in Colorado Springs for a few days, then was gonna head to Gunnison & Lakeview. I sure could use a contact point.
TIA

grants co trek

We will be in the Mt. Princeton area (just between Salida & BV) july 28- Aug
3. We will be leaving the 3rd. Would like to do some trails with you guys.
We have a cabin near Alpine lake. We do trails every year in that area but we would like to do it with other XJ's. Just let us know where the meeting place will be.

Tony in Oklahoma City
96XJ 8" custom, 31" BFG all terrain's , Detroit rear locker, Custom 4X4 front bumper W/ Ramsey 8000, Tomken rear bumper w/ tire carrier etc...

Back