• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand cherokee V8 5.2 same mpg as the I6 4.0???

FishPOET said:
I have a 5.2

I get 10 mpg on the trail. On a really good day with a strong tailwind I can get 14 mpg on the highway. It's a Jeep and I didn't buy it for mpg.

Most of the guys on nagca.com talk about better numbers, but I don't believe it.

I swapped a 5.9 into my 95 ZJ and am getting 15 city and up to 18 freeway. It does have a few mods that may be helping like the Kolak 3" cat & back exhaust, 52mm throttle body and ported kegger manifold.

FishPOET said:
I have a 5.2

I get 10 mpg on the trail. On a really good day with a strong tailwind I can get 14 mpg on the highway. It's a Jeep and I didn't buy it for mpg.

Most of the guys on nagca.com talk about better numbers, but I don't believe it.
wow, if ur getting 10 on the trail, id like to know what u concider a trail. I normaly get around 3-6 on a moderate trail, all this is according to the mpg readout in the overhead console.

Had a 5.2 zj before my xj and i got close to the same mpg as my buddy with a tj 4.0. both lifted with tires and what not. both stock gears and automatic

Truth is that your driving style and the terrain you drive on will make the difference in mileage from one poster to the other.

With the 5.2 the potential to burn more fuel is there no doubt, that don't mean you will though.

X2

My mother has a 97ZJ 4.0ltr anywhere between 20-23 on the highway. One of my friends has a 98 5.2ltr it gets anywhere between 14-17 on the highway. Now on top of that my mothers ZJ has pretty damn decent breaks, and handles like you would expect. My friends ZJ while the 5.2 has some of the shittiest breaks I've come across, and handles like a overloaded boat. Damn thing runs good though!
Baaaa.... I was just about to X2 this post. Till I realized I was the one who posted it!!!!!!

Five and a half years ago!!!!

Baaaa.... I was just about to X2 this post. Till I realized I was the one who posted it!!!!!!

Five and a half years ago!!!!

My 98 has ABS brakes, the first for me, my 87 XJ has standard brakes, the 98 seems shitty but I thought it was the ABS.

Handling wise new shocks and the 98 feels great on or off road.

Back