• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got my first nitro RC.

For my Tmaxx I just use simple notebook paper. I have a steel spur gear so I just take a small piece of paper fold in half and stick between the 2 gears and cram it together as hard as I can when I tighten up the engine mount screws. Once I remove the paper it spins freely and haven't had any issues.

Also just 2 teeth difference on ur spur will make a barely noticeable difference in increasing your top speed. If you change 2 teeth on ur clutch that makes a large difference. In case you didn't know

Last edited:
I was reading a lot of opinions on the metal spur gear. Most of the old tymers agree plastic is the way to go and that by using metal you are creating a weak spot else where. They claim it is better to have the cheap accessible plastic spur gear as your weak point than the transmission internals.

Of course plenty of people counter that argument with examples of running metal spur gears with no issues. For me it makes sense to stay plastic but that's just me.

I like plastic for the same reasons you're giving IWannaDie. I have seen people use Robinson Racing hardened steel spurs, but they have also had the stock Traxxas clutch bell get chewed up pretty quick. Luckily the Robinson Racing Hardened Bells are actually cheaper than the Traxxas ones:laugh:

Yea I got 2 Robinson Racing steel spurs. You just have to extra careful when you do gear mesh because it will destroy your clutch up. But I'm running a 3.3 in my Tmaxx so I'm not leaving my gears as the weak spot. My weak spot is my front shaft coming out of my transmission. It's still stock while everything else is 3.3 spec.

Going with a delrin spur is another option and I've not broken the 1 I bought for my brushless RC18R. They are very light and much stronger than stock plastic. I gotta get mine outside running again. when you break a rear shaft I don't recommend letting the 3.3 going full boar on only your fronts.

I just had my Tamiya M-03 Rover Mini Cooper and Traxxas Ford Fiesta out tonight after work. Finally got the suspension figured out on the Mini while on the well used set of HPI Mini Radials that have been on the car for 6 years now and it works gooooooooooood for being as stupidly over powered as it is right now:loveu:

Now if I could only get that damned Fiesta be so well behaved:banghead:

Back