• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

got acetylene?

I have seen this first hand with work trucks. Guys wouldn't turn off there bottles and they had leaks in there welding torch. That guy is lucky to be alive.

Holy shit!!! Why does the interior not look chared at all? Seems an explosion like that would have got rather hot.

It's such a quick pop that it blows itself out before it can do a lot of burning. If you know your cab is filled with gas don't go hitting switches and starting the car!

It just so hard to fathom that sort of damage and the fact that he doesn't have permanent hearing damage. I'd love to see a video of that explosion.

I can't believe he rolled down the windows, I would have just pushed the car out and opened the doors
Hmm explosive atmosphere, lemmme make some sparks...
Also, why was the protective cap not on the bottle? Is insurance going to cover this negligence?

Hell, opening the doors was dangerous enough. How many times to you get a little zap when you open the door? Probably wouldn't take much to set it off if the window switch did it.

Holy shit!!! Why does the interior not look chared at all? Seems an explosion like that would have got rather hot.

ever make an acetylene bomb? not much fire it's mostly a concussion blast. I bet it made one hell of a boom :D I made one in a grocery bag when I was a teenager that blew out the windows of the house across the street, good times. :gee: look em up on youtube.

that will buff out. I wonder if the insurance company will give him the inflated value with mods taken into account, or the blue book value? :D

I can't believe he rolled down the windows, I would have just pushed the car out and opened the doors
Hmm explosive atmosphere, lemmme make some sparks...
Also, why was the protective cap not on the bottle? Is insurance going to cover this negligence?
most times I've bought gas in a ~40cf tank they don't give you a cap, it's only the big tanks that come with em. I need to get some for mine.

Even pushing it out the door of the garage is a risk... that is, if you stop it when it gets outside. The brake light switch is under the dash. Heck even opening the door (and thereby turning the dome light on) was taking a chance on this one.

Acetylene tanks make me really nervous, when I have to drive to/from the gases company with mine I always put it in the jeep right before leaving and drive with the windows open.

And to add insult to injury, the air bag went off! That's a good example of a fuel/air bomb. Get the mixture just right, and you have a hell of a bang.

Ive got an oxy/acetylene setup in the back of my garage... havent used it in... 5-8 years.... my pops bought it, and convincing him to get rid of it is a useless endeavor...
MAYBE these images will help...

now im kinda curious what happened to the bottle itself... i assume it didnt blow, or else thered be a giant exit would that i dont really see?

Isnt it a big no-no to transport bottles inside any vehicle? ive allways wondered what xj people do with their bottles, i allways pick mine up in the MJ, strap it to the lumber rack, and drive like a nancy....

Oxy acetylene is a great tool to have IMO. but the power that it has is incredible to say the least

now im kinda curious what happened to the bottle itself... i assume it didnt blow, or else thered be a giant exit would that i dont really see?

Isnt it a big no-no to transport bottles inside any vehicle? ive allways wondered what xj people do with their bottles, i allways pick mine up in the MJ, strap it to the lumber rack, and drive like a nancy....
I'd keep it. Gas bottles are $$$ and a good torch setup is too, and very useful. I paid 250 for my bottle cart, bottles (40cf or so each), hoses, regulators, torch, and tips, and I got a damn good deal.

The bottle itself probably didn't blow, just the gas that had leaked out of it and filled the entire vehicle with an explosive mixture.

I always put the bottle in immediately before driving, drive with the windows open, and remove the bottle as soon as I get there.

Another thing - acetylene in bottles is a dissolved gas, the bottle is actually full of acetone iirc - so if you tip or jostle the bottle at all while transporting it, stand it upright and leave it to settle for a long time (1 hour or more) before using it. See section 7 of this for other handling info.

I was always wondering how they make Exploded Views in manuals...

Now I know ;)

P.S. I do get it. I did that with a gas tank in the basement that I thought was full of water. A few trapped fumes and a soldering torch was all it took to throw my Wil-E-Coyotte blown up faced self across the basement holding a torch that a few seconds ago, had a nozzle on it.

-Ron

I was always wondering how they make Exploded Views in manuals...

Now I know ;)

P.S. I do get it. I did that with a gas tank in the basement that I thought was full of water. A few trapped fumes and a soldering torch was all it took to throw my Wil-E-Coyotte blown up faced self across the basement holding a torch that a few seconds ago, had a nozzle on it.

-Ron

We had a sub removing some USTs from an old gas station. Part of the process is they have to purge the tank atmosphere so they can cut it up into pieces.

They told us that there was a guy a number of years back who failed to purge the tank and blew himself up; read: nothing left.

Some years back Dad told me of a rail road welder that didn't leave the cap on his bottles in transit, didn't clear out the valves and had some sort of bug got in one of the valves and he just put the hose over top of it and crushed it. Apparently he was going to test his new torch and when he opened the valves, one of the gases (can't remember which one) hit the bugs remains and it's bodily oils ignited things and blew everything up, the welder included.

Some years back Dad told me of a rail road welder that didn't leave the cap on his bottles in transit, didn't clear out the valves and had some sort of bug got in one of the valves and he just put the hose over top of it and crushed it. Apparently he was going to test his new torch and when he opened the valves, one of the gases (can't remember which one) hit the bugs remains and it's bodily oils ignited things and blew everything up, the welder included.

That sounds like one of those stories you always here but nobody personally knows the victim.

sounds like an oxy valve/regulator explosion to me.

Back