• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got a question as a new wheeler, Looking for XJ.

Restruction

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I am currently looking for an XJ, But I have a question that should be simple to me but for some reason I can't decide, I would like opinions on this, It would be most helpful.

I recently moved to TN from CT, Coming from CT off roading is illegal unless you have permission from the owner or have private land. Moving to TN, I have been told that there's off road legal parks, I would love to join the off roading community here in TN but I have no idea of the terrain for off road parks. I have been looking on craigslist for an unmodified XJ so that I can modify it myself I was told by my friends in CT something called "Built not bought" Constantly telling me that there's fun in modding your own vehicle and an experience you cant get anywhere else.

My problem is I have come across an XJ that would be good but while there's no problem on road, there may be a problem off road. Now my first vehicle ever was a 5 speed 92 XJ laredo, I did only okay in my eye's, however I paled in comparison to seasoned manual drivers. I reached a point where I got on road driving down, but still had trouble on steep hill's from a start. Like if I was on a steep angle I would have to rev-up then moderately release the clutch. The way I learned was not ideal at all, my father took me to the end of the street then told me to get this home with only giving me minimal instructions on how to drive it, Long story short I got it home, but it took forever. And the permanent part was that the way I learned to drive it stuck with me until I watched other people drive stick (not trying it, Just watching other people and observing how to drive stick) Just from watching I learned quite a bit and got on road driving pretty much down in 2 days after just watching my friends drive stick, It was not perfect but I got immediately better since day one. I haven't driven stick since the start 2012, but that was only for 5 months, I started when I was in High School back in 2008-09 from 2010-2012 I drove an automatic non Jeep. 5 months after 2012 my then 5 speed jeep died out due to rust. Since then I have been driving a WJ.

This XJ I have found on craigslist just so happens to be 5 speed. It is within my price range and seems to be in good condition, However one thing that scares me is that the ad says it has pretty badly rusted front floor boards. Is this repairable?

Back to my real question, Should someone who's only moderately good at stick get a 5 speed as a DD and a WW or Should I just get an automatic, I don't know what I will encounter at the off road parks in TN (Columbia area) so I don't know if this is a good vehicle for me. Personally I miss 5 speed but not enough to find that it will limit me on whatever terrain I encounter while off roading. If you don't think it will limit me then please tell me, I like opinions.

To each his own, its about personal preference. Some prefer stick, some prefer auto. Ive had both and for me i prefer the auto for the type of wheeling i do, they both have pro's and con's on the trail.

My first XJ was a 5 speed, and while I liked it on the road, I didn't like it off-road, as a beginning wheeler. I'd be tempted to get one now that I have 10 years under my belt. For you, I'd suggest finding an automatic.

Secondly, based on discussions in other threads about your concern on your mechanical aptitude, I would shy away from one with rusty floorboards. Replacing floorboards are pretty involved and require welding.

There are plenty of XJs in the Nashville area that are rust free that are reasonably priced - as far as I am concerned, and I'm on Craigslist daily looking. I guess depending on what your budget is, they may not be as plentiful as I think they are.

I'd pass on this one and keep looking.

My first XJ was a 5 speed, and while I liked it on the road, I didn't like it off-road, as a beginning wheeler. I'd be tempted to get one now that I have 10 years under my belt. For you, I'd suggest finding an automatic.

Secondly, based on discussions in other threads about your concern on your mechanical aptitude, I would shy away from one with rusty floorboards. Replacing floorboards are pretty involved and require welding.

There are plenty of XJs in the Nashville area that are rust free that are reasonably priced - as far as I am concerned, and I'm on Craigslist daily looking. I guess depending on what your budget is, they may not be as plentiful as I think they are.

I'd pass on this one and keep looking.

Thats the answer I'm looking for thank you, ill look for an automatic, i am sorry that it took me so long to reply to your pm. What should i look for in a used xj, back up in ct the major thing was rust, now that im down here i dont think that would be as big as an issue because im told it rarely snows in tn and that they dont salt or sand the roads when it does.

If you don't think it will limit me then please tell me, I like opinions.

I've got one auto and one manual XJ. Both are tough and durable. As far as driving experience, I think the auto is a clunky POS. On difficult trails, the manual takes more effort and more forethought than an auto, but that's where the fun is to me - driver skill. If that's not your cup of tea, than go auto.

On a side note, I did invest in a 4:1 Rock Trac transfer case for the low range that I probably woudn't have bought with an auto. The upside to that purchase is a better transfer case.

What should i look for in a used xj, back up in ct the major thing was rust, now that im down here i dont think that would be as big as an issue because im told it rarely snows in tn and that they dont salt or sand the roads when it does.

A good part of that answer is going to depend on your budget. The early models (84-96) are the least expensive and the majority of the XJs in the junkyards are those vintage so second hand body and interior parts are considerably more plentiful. If you do some reading in the forums you'll get all sorts of opinions on which to seek out and avoid based on the engines, the blocks, the cooling systems, etc. I didn't pay much attention to any of that. When I looked for mine I knew I wanted a late model (97-01) and relatively rust free. Mileage didn't make a lot of difference to me - although ultimately I got one with under 125,000. I'm weird in that I like my interior to be stock and clean, so part of my research included Jeeps that had the factory stereo and no tears in the side of the drivers seat. Again, preferences and quirks of the buyer. In the grand scheme, any XJ is going to be capable of doing the off-road thing. I've seen $500 beaters with all-terrains and a budget boost do wonderful things on the trail. Find something you are comfortable with.

As far as driving experience, I think the auto is a clunky POS. On difficult trails, the manual takes more effort and more forethought than an auto, but that's where the fun is to me - driver skill. If that's not your cup of tea, than go auto.

For a newbie, driver skill is something that will need to be developed. That is why I suggested an automatic to start with. That is one less thing for him to have to "learn" on the trails, and with a capable auto he can start to get comfortable with the vehicle's size and power, choosing lines, technique through different terrains. Later on, if and when it is time to get into a new XJ then maybe a manual would be a good option.

I never did that much serious off-roading, but have taken box stock manual XJ's on some pretty nasty terrain, (of the sort where you see pieces of Blazers in the ditch). Up here, we have a lot of National Forest roads, some of which are bermed to prevent casual driving in, and ditched for drainage. If you leave trailer-hitch marks on the ground, you know you're getting a bit close to the limit, but a few berms aren't much obstacle if you approach them right.

The only complaint I would have on a manual XJ is that it's geared a bit tall for slow travel in high range, and you do have to be careful in high range not to ride the clutch. On the other hand, in low range, you have a wonderful range of speeds, and since in low range you're probably not even using first gear, the shifting is very smooth.

As for rusty floorboards, I would be careful there, not so much for the floors themselves, but other rust that can be very annoying. If it's really just the floorboards, and if you don't worry about damp floormats, you can do a good job with sheet metal and screws, and seal it all with roofing tar. Here in Vermont it's rare to find any older vehicle that does not have rust, and we're used to it here. Down south, I'd keep looking for better, though.

Back