• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got a little problem here

victor_s

NAXJA Forum User
So its -18[SIZE=-1]°C here without the wind this morning. I [/SIZE]Go to start my jeep in the freezing cold and nothing. Alright lets give the battery a nice warm up. So i plug in the battery booster and let it sit there for a few minutes. Okay now i hear a click, but still nothing. I'm guessing its a starter problem because the battery is fully charged and functional. Any ideas of what this can be? :canada:

victor_s said:
So its -18[SIZE=-1]°C here without the wind this morning. I [/SIZE]Go to start my jeep in the freezing cold and nothing. Alright lets give the battery a nice warm up. So i plug in the battery booster and let it sit there for a few minutes. Okay now i hear a click, but still nothing. I'm guessing its a starter problem because the battery is fully charged and functional. Any ideas of what this can be? :canada:

First check for corrosion on the batter terminals and check the ground on the engine block (if its on the block, I don't know what year it is). I would clean the terminals off with some baking soda, dry them of and apply some terminal protectant to prevent corrosion. If that doesn't work, try tapping the solenoid with the handle of a screw driver while someone holds the ingition key in the start position. If thats the problem it should turn.

victor_s said:
Battery is 3 weeks old so its still good. No corrosion there. And i shall try the tapping method oh abd btw its an 89

Oh, then the battery is pretty much no concern. Check the ground on the chassis or engine block though, they can come lose after the years. I had the exact same problem with no cranking, and the battery was replaced 4 months prior as was the solenoid. The starter was original, so i replace it for 80$ and forgot to take my solenoid I paid 35$ for :bawl:.

jeepman121 said:
My 92 used to do that I would tap the starer with a hammer and that would work eventually I needed a starter.

Exact same here, I got a 92, did the same thing. Replaced starter as a last resort. I had it tested and it was only putting out half of the tourqe it should have!

Tryed tapping on the starter, nothing. Tryed shifting it up and down the gears, and putting it in neutral and still nothing. Gonna chrage up that battery and give it another try. Any tips while its charging would be great. Thanks

BillBraski said:
Yeah it could be the neutral saftey switch. But its really cold so I think its the starter. Really cold weather makes a questionable starter a dead starter :) .

get a new stareter. like BillBraski said cold kills them when they are on their last leg.

Its worth a shot......id hold up ( forward ) on the shifter with one hand, then crank the key with the other.....same as doing the nuetral thing i guess, but thats wht ive had to do before to get mine to fire up.....or out it in nuetral, then slam it into park......

Well when i turn the key all the way, it gives me a click. When i let go of the key i get another click. I'm guessing its a starter issue. Are they easy to replace?

Yeah its easy to replace, undo the wires on the solenoid, remove both bolts holding the starter on, the big ones on the flange, I beleive one goes in from the front and the other goes in from the back? dont try to remove the little ones that holds the motor housing to the starter. have them test it before you buy a new one. At checkers here they test them for free, napa charges a small amount unless you buy one from them. I ussualy get the one at checkers that has the lifetime warranty but you get what you pay for.
after you take it out and are fimiliar with how it is mounted then it will only take 10 minutes to replace one in the future.
Jeremy

in2fords said:
Yeah its easy to replace, undo the wires on the solenoid, remove both bolts holding the starter on, the big ones on the flange, I beleive one goes in from the front and the other goes in from the back? dont try to remove the little ones that holds the motor housing to the starter. have them test it before you buy a new one. At checkers here they test them for free, napa charges a small amount unless you buy one from them. I ussualy get the one at checkers that has the lifetime warranty but you get what you pay for.
after you take it out and are fimiliar with how it is mounted then it will only take 10 minutes to replace one in the future.
Jeremy
You couldn't be more correct. Although, other than a OE quality new starter, a remaned from Advance is a great "bang for the buck" starter. I needed one on a Sunday at 7:00 at night, I took the bad starter out, ran to Advance, tested it and found that it only put out half power. I got the new one for 75-80$. You got another option.Go to a salvage yard. I go to a place were I know everyone and everyone knows me, so I get deals (If I pay anything at all :) ) on just about everything. Starters, alternators, suspension parts... I am trying really hard to score a GM 14 bolt rear end out of a truck and a really nice 97 XJ that had a minor collision but only has 23,000 miles on it!! He wants 1,500 out of it. The 4.0 powertrain is worth that and then some! Hopefully I can talk him down to 1,000, becuase all it needs it a drivers side fender and a hood.

Back