• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

goopy oil, lost pressure, weird

I can see wanting to go JY hunting for a head but not a motor, a head is a lot easier to pull and carry out. That's about the only way I can rationalize that reply though, unless he was going for the "or buy remanufactured" part.

I can see wanting to go JY hunting for a head but not a motor, a head is a lot easier to pull and carry out. That's about the only way I can rationalize that reply though, unless he was going for the "or buy remanufactured" part.

Nobody ought to pull engines at the junkyard, instead they should ask for one that has already been pulled to be delivered to a shop.

When I bought my engine, I literally walked the warehouse aisles and picked out the one I wanted, gave them $500 and they trucked it down a couple of days later

Nobody ought to pull engines at the junkyard, instead they should ask for one that has already been pulled to be delivered to a shop.

When I bought my engine, I literally walked the warehouse aisles and picked out the one I wanted, gave them $500 and they trucked it down a couple of days later

Why? I can get a motor for 100 dollars at my local yard if I pull it myself, with a warranty for a bit more. I own an engine hoist, so I'm quite capable of pulling it myself in the yard if I have to.

If the motor wasn't good enough for them to take, I'd leave it there

That's not how the "you pull it" junkyards work. The one in my neck of the woods supplies the hoist, carts etc and you supply the tools and labor. They will provide you with a referral to some independent guys to do the dirty work for you if you don't want to.

Rebuilt the block. I doubt the block was damaged in the failure unless it spun a bearing. Check for cracks as well.

As for the head. Throw that 0331 you have out.

If you don't want to go yard hunting you could try finding a good uses 03+ with the TUPY casting on ebay or another forum. One from a TJ or WJ would be fine. Have it checked over, maybe a valve job and mill for flatness.

Don't want used? Alabama cylinder head sells a modified casting. I think Clearwater cylinder head does as well. I'm any number of cylinder head shops have a reworked 0331 TUPY casting available as well.

Using an earlier head is an option, but would take some other items to get it to work with the later exhaust manifold and coil rail.

That's not how the "you pull it" junkyards work. The one in my neck of the woods supplies the hoist, carts etc and you supply the tools and labor. They will provide you with a referral to some independent guys to do the dirty work for you if you don't want to.
x2. My you-pull-it doesn't pull ANYTHING before they send the vehicle into the yard. Sorry Eric, but your logic doesn't make sense here.

The only thing is that they don't have many late model vehicles of other makes (and very few luxury vehicles) in the you-pull-it yard - anything about 02 or 03 or newer goes into the private yard on the other side of the street where they pull everything for you and computerize their inventory. I know for a fact that every single XJ they get goes into the you-pull-it section though, I've been on the other side of the street with a couple of the employees before and didn't see a single one.

The only thing is that they don't have many late model vehicles of other makes (and very few luxury vehicles) in the you-pull-it yard - anything about 02 or 03 or newer goes into the private yard on the other side of the street where they pull everything for you and computerize their inventory.
That's where I bought mine, clean and low miles and guaranteed to have good compression. I don't like the mystery motors and I wouldn't pull my own

If you don't have the time to search junkyards and gamble on the motors, get yours fully rebuilt, and get a stronger head. The 0331 head is junk. Not worth putting it back on especially on an engine you just spent money rebuilding. The next step after that is give brat son a car he can beat on and you drive the newly rebuilt jeep, hahaha.

The next step after that is give brat son a car he can beat on and you drive the newly rebuilt jeep, hahaha.

HOLY COW!!! Now that is the best advice I have heard yet! You my friend are a wise man! I can hook him up my nice old ford pick-up.
I'm going to laugh about that idea for a while. I might drop that one on him the next time he asks if "his" jeep is fixed. Funny, we went in on it 75/25 with me on the 75% side, he was going to use it for a year before he was supposed to get shipped to Afghanistan, (fortunately that deployment has been postponed 9months) then his little brother was going to get the jeep. But now they both might have to drive my old truck. Ha-ha man that just makes me smile, my youngest boy hates that truck and my oldest is a xj man.
Ah sweet, I love being a dad.

Having raised 4 teenagers, I couldn't agree more. I built them cars that they crashed, ran out of oil, overheated etc. The list goes on and on. Fact is, once they get wheels you are no longer useful to them and you get snubbed. Humility is good for them. Put 'em in a junker unless they're gonna invest as much or more sweat equity in the vehicle that you do.

Your still getting it rebuilt right.

If you trust your shop to do a fare job of evaluating the engine for rebuilding as apposed to replacing and rebuilding. Then let then do the there job. A good fare shop is getting harder and harder to find. If you got one pass the word and don't forget there Christmas card. Else inspect the engine and go in with a good idea what is really needs to be done.
My $.02.

Last edited:
x2. My you-pull-it doesn't pull ANYTHING before they send the vehicle into the yard. Sorry Eric, but your logic doesn't make sense here.

The pull-n-save yard near me is part of a larger junkyard. Anything that isn't worth pulling or not in demand stays in the vehicle when it sent over to the pull-n-save yard. The pull-n-save yard usually has at least 12 near intact 1995 or older XJs at any given time.

Back