• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good reason to get a CCW

http://www.packing.org/state/vermont/#statenote

"Vermont is unique in that permits are not required for carry concealed or unconcealed for resident and non-resident alike. Local ordinances vary, though. VT has no statutes concerning concealed carry, nor is there a specific statute that allows it. In the absence of a statute that prohibits it, then it is taken that there is no law against it."

Huh... I don't know whether to applaud or cower in fear. I think this is how it should be in a perfect world, but there may be too many psycos out there in this one to not have some kind of screening process.

94XJ4x4 said:

"Vermont is unique in that permits are not required for carry concealed or unconcealed for resident and non-resident alike. Local ordinances vary, though. VT has no statutes concerning concealed carry, nor is there a specific statute that allows it. In the absence of a statute that prohibits it, then it is taken that there is no law against it."

Huh... I don't know whether to applaud or cower in fear. I think this is how it should be in a perfect world, but there may be too many psycos out there in this one to not have some kind of screening process.
Don't yo uthink that the psychos would be able to get their hands on a firearm regardless of rules or regulations?

Fergie

Fergie said:
Don't yo uthink that the psychos would be able to get their hands on a firearm regardless of rules or regulations?

Fergie

Of course, but I would like the officers to at the least legaly have the ability to disarm them. If no one needs a permit then there is nothing anyone can do.

94XJ4x4 said:

IIRC you still have the lowest firearm-related homicide rate in the country. ;) Hell, I think that's homicide rate in general. Don't be scared, be proud.

ECKSJAY said:
IIRC you still have the lowest firearm-related homicide rate in the country. ;) Hell, I think that's homicide rate in general. Don't be scared, be proud.

Good point. Yeah, VT is a pretty safe place. ...Guess I won't argue with it. :)

94XJ4x4 said:
Of course, but I would like the officers to at the least legaly have the ability to disarm them. If no one needs a permit then there is nothing anyone can do.
As Ecksjay points out, LEOs have no legal obligation to protect us.

I don't want an officer having the right to disarm me if I have not committed any crime, simply for "their" safety. What about my safety and the psycho with the badge and lights?

Fergie

Correct.

The various police forces DO NOT HAVE and NEVER HAVE HAD any legal, moral, or other responsibility to protect us - going all the way back to the "Reeve of the Shire" in British Common Law (circa 1400 or so.)

The duty of the police forces is to enforce the decisions and will of the state, and to attend to the interests of the state, in such situations as where force may be required. It's amazing just what a Big Lie "To Protect and to Serve" has finally become. Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

On the flipside, we as people have a moral duty to protect ourselves (especially in light of the fact that, if you have moved out of your parents' home, you don't have anyone else to do it for you.) What means you choose is entirely up to you - since CCW in CA is damn near impossible, I choose other means (size, speed, and skill all figure. Unarmed, or with a fist full of knife, I'm ready to handle just about anything. I am, of course, always willing to obtain new equipment from the bodies of the enemy, where available.) Always remember that you have only one weapon - and anything else is merely an extension of capability.

While we're on the subject, I don't remember reading in any body of law in the US that law enforcement has any legal or moral duty to disarm me if I've done nothing wrong - and there's already enough to deal with in asinine laws on what I can and can't use (and I can't wait to return to civlisation - two more years...) I shall refuse to comply - my safety is not his responsibility, and his safety is not my concern. This has caused me some difficulty in the past, but it's the moral high road, and what is right is not always easy.

The moral of this story is simple - don't get on my bad side. I'm really a nice guy, believe it or not...

5-90

Back