• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GOOD MOTOR? OR BAD?

well guys i found a xj near my house and it is ok all stock but it is a 4.0 so thats good i havent looked at it that much but is ok needs a driver fender (lil damage) and bumper is messed up (front) and needs a starter....700$$ what you think???? it is clean on the inside and auto trans. out side is ok little dents and scratches but ok in my book it has 2538251 miles is that ok for the 4 leiter motor????

im not sure i think at least a 88 but i dont know i will get back when or if i get it and tell more when i find out is that mileage ok for the motor tho????

that's okay. you shouldn't have to work on it for awhile if it's been taken care of. these engines can easily go 300k before and overhaul.

Check for rust. XJ's go soft at the rockers, rear quarter panel (behind the rear tires), driver's side floor, around the leaf-spring forward mount, and the bottoms of the doors.

If the floors are solid, it runs well, and the 4wd works, I'd say go for it. $700 is about average for an older XJ, and they can surprise you with just how durable they really are.

Oh, a few tips on figuring out the vintage of an XJ...

Check the throttle-body; if it's bolted down with three bolts than it's an '87-'90 vintage Jeep. If the Grille has ten slots, then it's an '87 (seven means it's '88-'90 or that the PO swapped in a later grille.) If it has 3 point seatbelts in the rear, then it's a '90 XJ.

:)

XJPhoenix said:
Check for rust. XJ's go soft at the rockers, rear quarter panel (behind the rear tires), driver's side floor, around the leaf-spring forward mount, and the bottoms of the doors.

If the floors are solid, it runs well, and the 4wd works, I'd say go for it. $700 is about average for an older XJ, and they can surprise you with just how durable they really are.

Oh, a few tips on figuring out the vintage of an XJ...

Check the throttle-body; if it's bolted down with three bolts than it's an '87-'90 vintage Jeep. If the Grille has ten slots, then it's an '87 (seven means it's '88-'90 or that the PO swapped in a later grille.) If it has 3 point seatbelts in the rear, then it's a '90 XJ.

THANKS that is good to know sence im new to the whole jeep thing??? my friends are saying that they dont wheel good because the uni body? and the toyota would be a better wheeler? i like the look of the xjs and i love jeeps... but i love to wheel am i gonna run into hella problems because of the uni body? and if so i can always make some kind of frame correct?

I've never done that heavy off-roading that I've had problems, but if you'd like ideas on what to expect/what to reinforce, look up JeepSpeed. It's a Cherokee-only desert racing series that runs most everything from stock, to near-stock, to not-stock.

The uni-body can develop cracks if it's tested severely, but can be reinforced by adding plating to key points. Adding reinforcements from the frame 'rails' (they're welded to the floor) to the pinch seam on the rocker will stiffen it right up too. Adding a good solid bumper front & rear will add rigidity; and an internal rollcage will also stiffen your XJ big time.

Honestly, I'd prefer the XJ because it's a good all-around wheeler. Sure, the Toyota has a body-on-frame design, but the XJ has a solid axle in the front; something most Toyota wheelers usually swap in. In the end, both rigs have their merits, both have strong points and weak points, but I prefer the XJ for it's simplicity, reliability, and cost. Plus, I like the way they look and ride.

Run a few searches on XJ body protection, frame/body reinforcement, and the like here and on the web; you'll see that some 1/8" plate in the right areas can do wonders for your Jeep.

Last edited:
that is what i wanted to know about thanks i have done little searching on the web but im pretty sure i know what ima do to my xj thanks bro... i will probably be asking alot more questions so thank you to those that are answering them i apreciate it alot

Back