• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good enough for trails only

I think that is effin awesome, but man, it's a headache tryin' to get a new rig
hey - maybe with that chunk of cash you'll get from the insurance co, and the money from parting out this heep - you could get yourself a jeep with 31's or something.

however I do realize that this goes against the "built not bought" fetish that some people have.

You might think of something else here that has not been mentioned. Say you decide to buggy it up and make it into a crawler. A year from now, you and a friend are wheelin and you roll it. Because the Jeep is stressed to start, You kill your best friend or girlfriend/wife. Your family(s) will be forever angry that you took that $300 jeep and made it into the death machine.

Either part it and make some more cash, which in my opinion is a bad idea OR Find a XJ that has a blown drivetrain and swap out all the parts and sell the extras. I am sure that you can find a good donor for less than $500.

wheelchairman said:
well its still in debate on whether or not he had insurance.

As of right now it looks like he doesn't.

But i have found a CLEAN 94 xj for 1400

You should be able to buy that XJ with the $ you get from the insurance company. You could probably just e-mail them to pic, doesn't take a brain surgeon to see it's totaled. They might have to come out anyways and see it 1st hand. I had 2 vehicles totalled parked outside my gated townhouse community and they always gave me good $ for my vehicle, more than I thought it was worth (98' Pontiac Grand Prix and a 95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8). With the $ I got for the GP I got my wife a fully loaded 98' GP GTP leather etc and with the $ from the 95' ZJ I added $1.5K and got a 98' ZJ Laredo with 66K miles, my 95' had 130K or more.

What insurance company do you have and do you have full coverage? They should be able to take care of you quick and cut you a check so you can go buy another XJ, if that's what you want. I'd suggest parting this XJ out for your own use or others here and then call a Wrecker to come pick up the left over carcass.

To answer the question, good enough for trail use...a definite NO. Don't chance it, you want a dependable rig, not a liability. Get your $, take off what you want if you do buy it back from the insurance co, and move on, you'll thank yourself later, don't dwell to much on salvaging this thing...XJ are everywhere and you can get them almost for free. And I'm not talking about stealing it, but people literaly throw their Jeep away after 130K miles or so...and with the reliability of the 4.0L/AW4/231 it should almost last for ever.

Last edited:
I agree with most everyone else on here, get another that needs some things from yours and make one XJ out of the two.

The dragster pic looks like you have a golf cart with heavy treaded tires on it in front of the jeep. One of my buddies did that and you wouldn't believe the crap it goes through.

Josh

oh I would believe it we have had multiple carts with 24" tires this one has 26" itp 589's

and we might be buyin a 95 zj with a bad t case for 1000 tonight

wheelchairman said:
oh I would believe it we have had multiple carts with 24" tires this one has 26" itp 589's

and we might be buyin a 95 zj with a bad t case for 1000 tonight

ZJ's make good dd, if you can stand a little less MPG then a XJ. A 4.0L gets about 15-16 city & 18-22 hwy depending on how you drive. I had a 96' ZJ V8 fully loaded Limited and I only got 13 MPG city/hwy because it's all in 4 wheel drive, all the V8s are. Good luck with the ZJ, that's a good price, swap in a 242 Select Trac for the ultimate dd in any weather condition.

Big Red said:
ZJ's make good dd, if you can stand a little less MPG then a XJ. A 4.0L gets about 15-16 city & 18-22 hwy depending on how you drive. I had a 96' ZJ V8 fully loaded Limited and I only got 13 MPG city/hwy because it's all in 4 wheel drive, all the V8s are. Good luck with the ZJ, that's a good price, swap in a 242 Select Trac for the ultimate dd in any weather condition.

the zj is a 95 with a 4.0.... we will be swapping in the 231 from my xj..... and rev I dont care that he brought this back to life so you shouldnt either

wheelchairman said:
the zj is a 95 with a 4.0.... we will be swapping in the 231 from my xj..... and rev I dont care that he brought this back to life so you shouldnt either

Thanks, Rev can keep his comments to himself, he doesn't have to comment on a thread he doesn't care about. I was wondering how things worked out for you, that was quite a accident.

Big Red said:
Thanks, Rev can keep his comments to himself, he doesn't have to comment on a thread he doesn't care about. I was wondering how things worked out for you, that was quite a accident.

How hard is it to just hit back if you dont like the thread? but anyway I am leavin in about 20 min to pick up a 95 zj with a bad t case and needs a few engine parts (alt and oil pump) so my xj will live on in the zj if my xj doesnt sell on ebay.

The guy that piloted the kawasaki came by 2-4 weeks ago to look it over as he didnt think it was totalled (he hadnt seen it) and was simply amazed at the extent of the damage. we got to talk with him and I honestly believe he thought he had insurance so I'm not mad at him. He asked about any injuries my dad sustained and after we said just a cut on his peenke finger (sp) now is a firm believer in jeeps

Good to hear everyone was o.k. the motorcyclist as well. Post up some pics of the ZJ. I think you'll really like it. I sold mine, but had 3 ZJs over the past few years. I just came across a 2 door 98' XJ 5 speed that is fun to drive and good on gas so that's what I drive now. If you like a XJ, you'll probably love the ZJ for a little more room and f/r coils for a good ride.

Troy

yeah I just got home from gettin it and it looks great. It has the 4.0 in it so it will get good mileage unlike the 5.2 and it has disc brakes on the 35 (I am haunted by that 35)! it wont be long before we swap v8 coils to the rear for a 2.5" rear lift to level it out once we slap the wheelchair carrier on the back. I also gotta contact a JU member bout gettin those power seats shipped.

wheelchairman said:
yeah I just got home from gettin it and it looks great. It has the 4.0 in it so it will get good mileage unlike the 5.2 and it has disc brakes on the 35 (I am haunted by that 35)! it wont be long before we swap v8 coils to the rear for a 2.5" rear lift to level it out once we slap the wheelchair carrier on the back. I also gotta contact a JU member bout gettin those power seats shipped.

Check out NAGCA.org (It's the equivalent of NAXJA to Grand Cherokees. Moving stock rear springs to the front will give 3-4" of lift in the front, then get some new 3-4" aftermarket coils for the rear and you control arms etc to complete the lift. This is a little GC trick, but you might be better off just getting a complete aftermarket lift kit. What are your plans for you ZJ, dd and a little trail? Nothing wrong with 2-3" lift and 31's. It looks good and doesn't do to bad on the trail and you aren't going to extreme between either dd and weekend warrior.

Big Red said:
Check out NAGCA.org (It's the equivalent of NAXJA to Grand Cherokees. Moving stock rear springs to the front will give 3-4" of lift in the front, then get some new 3-4" aftermarket coils for the rear and you control arms etc to complete the lift. This is a little GC trick, but you might be better off just getting a complete aftermarket lift kit. What are your plans for you ZJ, dd and a little trail? Nothing wrong with 2-3" lift and 31's. It looks good and doesn't do to bad on the trail and you aren't going to extreme between either dd and weekend warrior.

I'm really thinkin bout just lifting the rear because it will have a wheelchair carrier on it with an electric chair so I want it to sit level with the chair on it or close to level.... chair weight is 250 pounds...

yes I'm on nagca. Since I'm only 5'1 and not very great mobility I really only want to lift the rear and maybe 2" up front with 30's or so.. maybe 31's

it will see 95% road 5% trail

Back