• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

going to fab a rear tire carrier

Megawatt said:
I would not use the receiver as others have said. I welded mine to my bumper and used a poly bushing in the hinge, and it still rattles a little. It needs to be strong enough to support your tire when it swings out all the way. That is a lot of leverage on your bumper! If I didn't need the room inside, I wouldn't do another swing out, I'd just keep the tire in the back.
100_0718.jpg

I used .035 wire too.

that looks really good, i have all the metal for mine. Now im just searching around for designs, and waiting for money to come in so i can buy a welder. Do you have any other pictures of that bumper. Specifically of the hinge, latch, and right were the taillights are, cause i noticed there is no gap.
BTW im using 1/4 inch thick steel do yall think that it will make the rear sag a lot. Im running dakota leafs. It was free thats the only reason im going that thick. I have an add a leaf im goin to add in afterwards once i see how bad it sags.

Thanks for the compliments guys. A couple of people have asked for more pictures and details. I've been pretty busy lately, but I'll try to post some pics soon.

Jeremy

Here's a couple more pics. The bumper mounts to the body using the factory mounting points plus a bracket I welded to the unibody frame behind the rear tires. Before I paint it, I'm going to add brackets that use the mounting area on the bottom side of the frame where the tow package receiver is mounted.
The mounting plates are 1/4" plate and the shackle mounts are 1/2" through the face of the bumper. The back side is gusseted to the corners, and 2" angle crosses between the mounts to support the end of the reciever tube. The Bumper is 6" channel cut down, so are the sides, with the edges finished with flatbar to keep the channel look/strength.

100_0623.jpg

100_0719.jpg

100_0806.0001.jpg

100_0806_0001.jpg

You could build the tire support differently and use a better hinge and latches for less squeaks. Its not bad, but going up rough roads to the trails can get annoying.

Ralph said:
dscn1176.jpg

More pics on my homepage.
So how do people know if you are backing up? Can your reverse lights even be seen? Why is your latch so far over to the drivers side?

I can see the clear lense in the picture, so they may not be functional to light up behind you, but I would imagine others could see them.

Back