• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going to electric fans from U-Pull-It.....what to look in? and what else to look for?

giranger

NAXJA Forum User
Going to electric fans from U-Pull-It.....what to look in? and what else to look for?
Just what it says. What vehicle is a direct bolt up to 96 XJ Auto. Want to remove the engine fan and replace with electric. TIA Jeff CamoXJ

I was also going to replace the stock one because it was howling when turned on because of the pond but broke into the case (which isnt easy) and cleaned everything and reinstalled and works like a charm.

What other stuff can I look for at the U-Pull-It yard? Stuff that is direct bolt up that is an upgrade? Anything................

I'v read the Ford Taurus 3 wire fan from the 3.8 litre engine has a high CFM rating, lots of guys over at Pirate4x4 swear by it. I foget the dimensions but it's about 5" deep, you may be able to make one or two fit on an XJ?

I'v been meaning to grab one and see if it'll fit..

I've heard that the dual fans out of a Nissan Maxima fit the XJ radiator well and have a high CFM rating. Hope that helps.
Aaron

Also looking for any other kinds of swaps. I'm gonna look for 160 amp alternator, already got the E350 Master Cylinder. Anything else anyone can come up with that direct bolt on upgrade or minumum work upgrades? TIA Jeff CamoXJ

I did the Nissan swap with great success....mind you I already converted my old closed cooling system to the open style. I found mine from a Nissan Sentra I think. Dual fans with dual speeds...low profile and can be trimmed to fit nicely. Their amperage draw is fairly low as well as I have one relay controlling slow and one controlling high speed.

http://community.webshots.com/album/86564946DsertP

The ford taurus fan has a HUGE motor sticking out the back and is much too deep to fit in an XJ. Guys squeeze them in YJ's and TJ's but they have more room up front than we do.

What year Maxima's? I looked at the junk yard at the late 80's models and they were too tall.

Neil said:
What year Maxima's? I looked at the junk yard at the late 80's models and they were too tall.

The Nissan fans I put in extended down below the rad about 1.5"

it is a 95 to 99 maxima. they are dual speed fans. i think they work great. i have had no overheating problems with them. so far i have went to the desert 3 times this winter for the whole weekend and the whole time my gauge did not get above 215. and that is with 80 to 90 degree temps. i am impressed with these after going through so many eletric fan combos. i made a taurus fan fit but it just didn't keep the beast cool.

I actually tend to agree with TRNDRVR on this one. I replaced the clutch fan with a flex-a-lite fan about 4 years ago. It did nothing to solve my overheating problem, although it didn't make it any worse either. I also didn't notice any power gains. Things got worse when the thermostat that came with the fan quit working, then I wired it to a switch which was ok but if you get distracted and forget to turn it on....it's now on a adjustable thermostat and comes on about 180, if it's really warm out I switch on the stock aux fan, wired it to a switch too. My problem with this mod also is that you must cut off the studs for the clutch fan, making it a real pain if you decide you don't like it later. If I had it to do over again, I'd leave the clutch fan in, and spend the money on better plugs and wires. I noticed a big improvement with those, nothing with the electric fan. I don't recall when they switched over the aux fan in the cherokee from the 6 bladed paddle style to the more efficient 8 blade style, but if you have the old style look for a newer one at the yard. It's a direct replacement from what I hear and moves more air than the older version.

Back