• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Glasspack with no cat (offroad only), anybody got a dummy 02 sensor part number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildernessJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I'm running my jeep off road only, and it is registered in a state with no inspection (for insurance only). A few years ago, the cat clogged and started overheating the engine, so I replaced the whole factory setup with a simple glass pack straight muffler. Needless to say, now I have a check engine light. This bothers me because I can't tell if I actually have a check engine light while driving, or if it is the second O2 sensor throwing the expected code.

I did some checking on this forum, a few people suggested the dummy sensor, but my google foo is weak and I could only find it for a subaru and some mustangs. Anybody got a part number or place to order it?

Thanks,

Robert

Check Montana fab. I have the o2 simulator with heater and it works fine. I didn't see the one with the heater on their site just now, so I can't comment on how well the other one works.

removing a factory installed emmissions device falls into federal law, not state to state.

Goodbye thread, you only got started!

Run a cat.... theyre majic.

I'm almost 100% positive there is no "law" requiring a vehicle to have a CAT. Only that it must be below a maximum threshold of NOx pollutants. Now if a vehicle was equipped with a CAT as OEM equipment it is not allowed to be removed unless it has gone bad. Nor is it allowed to be sold without one regardless of if it was removed due to failure. That has nothing to due with state to state inspections though.

EDIT: The CATs on XJs are quite free flowing. Really there should be no reason to remove it unless it has became faulty or damaged. Even then I would seriously consider replacing it with at least a used one off a salvaged XJ.

Last edited:
I'm almost 100% positive there is no "law" requiring a vehicle to have a CAT. Only that it must be below a maximum threshold of NOx pollutants. Now if a vehicle was equipped with a CAT as OEM equipment it is not allowed to be removed unless it has gone bad. Nor is it allowed to be sold without one regardless of if it was removed due to failure. That has nothing to due with state to state inspections though.

EDIT: The CATs on XJs are quite free flowing. Really there should be no reason to remove it unless it has became faulty or damaged. Even then I would seriously consider replacing it with at least a used one off a salvaged XJ.

^That.

EPA regs say it has to have "all OEM emissions equipment intact" - regardless of whether or not it's genuinely useful, or if it can be "tuned out" of an engine.

Further, a catalytic converter or other spark arrestor tends to be requirement for vehicles registered "Off-Road Use Only" - if it's used at all on a public roadway, adherence to EPA/local regs is required.

A spark arrestor, of course, is to prevent glowy bits of carbon from blowing out the exhaust and starting wildfires - and a muffler (glasspack or baffle-style) is NOT considered a spark arrestor for our purposes here.

A proper cat is actually one of the more useful of the emissions devices - I'd run it, even for OHV tags. Not only will it keep the Leftist Greenie nitwits off our back, but it's also a safety device (as mentioned,) which can help keep you from getting caught in a fire. And, when you break it all down, there's no real reason to eliminate the thing anymore - through the late 1970s and early 1980s, we were still figuring them out - but these days? Random Technologies say that their bodies & matrices actually flow better than a comparable section of straight pipe - so select a proper size exhaust, weld in a properly-sized cat, and you're good!

The problem with talking about emissions device removal as more than a theoretical subject is that it can bring the wrath of the feds down on you. You don't think that's bad? I am minded of a CB radio BBS some 20-odd years ago that got shut down - a discussion on "linear amplifiers" (to increase power output and transmission range) got running, and the people running the BBS got nicked for about $250K in fines (not because they did anything wrong, but because they didn't stop other people!)

The EPA, in many ways, can be even WORSE. Ergo, after I post this, I'm locking the thread. Please don't bring it up again - you have been warned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back