• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting the XJ ready for towing duty

Nominated
It's also not a requirement to weld the spacer, that's done for convenience for those that frequently tear into the axle!

It's absolutely a requirement. The bolt is just holding everything together and isn't intended to combat the vertical shearing force. The unit bearing press fits into the knuckle to take all the shearing force. Otherwise, there would be no reason for the press fit and it would just be the three bolts.

The unit bearing isn't always a tight fit due to manufacturing tolerances. I've replaced a lot of unit bearings over the years in lots of different vehicles and most don't have any type of press fit unless there is rust or dirt build up. That said, I would not rely on the three bolts exclusively. You could probably braze the spacers on and be fine but welding is how I'd do them.

The unit bearing isn't always a tight fit due to manufacturing tolerances. I've replaced a lot of unit bearings over the years in lots of different vehicles and most don't have any type of press fit unless there is rust or dirt build up. That said, I would not rely on the three bolts exclusively. You could probably braze the spacers on and be fine but welding is how I'd do them.

I do not run this setup but I have always heard that the spacer should be welded to the knuckle. Is there anything special to consider when welding to the knuckle? How mush load does it or could it bear? The reason for my questions is I heard that special welding rod and cooling techniques are required when welding to cast material.

I do not run this setup but I have always heard that the spacer should be welded to the knuckle. Is there anything special to consider when welding to the knuckle? How mush load does it or could it bear? The reason for my questions is I heard that special welding rod and cooling techniques are required when welding to cast material.

Yes, preheat and prolonged cooling............plenty of writeups on this.

You can preheat slowly in an oven to say 400-500 degrees, weld with nickel rod, or any rod for cast, then throw in bucket of sand and let cool. You can also weld with regular MIG wire or a high silicon wire. I use nickel on cast/forged or have a guy at work Tig it. Let cool slow or the welds could crack from the base metal. I would weld for sure though as it is supposed to be a register for the bearing and can see vehicle weight.

Man so many ways to go here...I know how to weld but don't have a welder anymore. I guess maybe I need to get a better idea of what this thing is going to weigh. I'd prefer something on the smaller side. To be totally honest I I like tent camping...this is all for the wife.

Back