• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting going on my project - 88 XJ (help needed)

Giviner

NAXJA Forum User
First off hello to all. This is my first post here and I'm in need of a bit of tech assistance. I recently was able to get my hands on an 88 XJ that I plan to turn into a mild trail rig for my fiancee. It's got a few issues however that need to be addressed.

I got this rig for free, it's got 225k on it. The initial goal before all others is to get this thing started and see how it runs. There are 3 problems right now that I see that are causes for concern.

Problems 1&2 - Steering and ignition. I'm quite certain these 2 are related, but pictures don't really do justice to the current condition of the steering column. So here is a short video that shows the problem:

http://media.putfile.com/xj-steering-column

Not pretty..........i've come across a few writeups that show how to repair a loose steering column. Apparently there are a few bolts that have a tendency to come loose which causes this to happen. I'm hoping that this is the case and that because it is so loose it somehow pulled apart the ignition linkage and it's simply a matter of tightening the bolts and re-connecting the linkage.

BUT......I have no experience with this whatsoever so if anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

Problem 3 - shifter.

Currently, as it sits, I can run the shifter through the entire range of gears from park to 1st without depressing the shift button and without having the vehicle running. Also, it doesn't seem to want to go all the way into park or all the way down into 1st. It doesn't seem to have its full range of travel.

This one I have no idea on. So any and all input would be appreciated. Is it a problem with just the shifter, or the entire transmission itself?

Thanks in advance!

I have the same steering column and shifter problems on my 1990 with 220k on the clock. Steering wobble is just those 4 bolts and the ignition on yours is likely a sheered wire from all that play. The shifter is likely the recall which mine has on the linkage. as for the button not being depressed for you to shift, I think that may just be a sticky button ( in the depressed position) or maybe someone jerry rigged it that way.
Call the dealership and see about the recall on the linkage. it's free work and will probably fix it. you also likely have an outstanding o2 sensor recall too.

--Alex

Hmmm..............do you think there will be any issues actually shifting with the linkage all messed up like that? It won't actually go far enough forward to get into park (or at least where Park is indicated on the console) so i'm wondering if I will even be able to drive it.

I will give the dealership a call tomorrow about the recalls..........thanks!

Mine has trouble getting into park like it needs to go another half inch forward to really click and the same thing for 1st gear........needs to go another half inch back.

I would think you could start it in Neutral and keep it parked with the e-brake ( assuming it works unike mine) take it to them and let them see. My shady ( not shade tree) mechanic said it's be like $150 or 200 to fix the steering and I said f*ck that. He already charged me 1200 for an engine swap ( I provided the new one). this was before I realized that Jeeps were awesome and doing it myself would be very feasible.

Hope it all works out. I'm no mecanical master by any means but seems like we have alot of the same problems. Private message me if you have any other woes cause I have likely had them too.

--Alex

Thanks for the help, I am far from being a mechanical master myself. I'm actually a "TJ" guy and am in the process of building one of them up as well. I just couldn't pass up this opportunity for a free Jeep!

My e-brake does work (surprisingly) so I will try what you suggested and see what happens.

Just waiting to get my garage heater installed so I can get to work on both vehicles.........it's so cold outside right now I can't do any work and it sucks.

Yeah I bet Canada is pretty chilly this time of year. Alabama isnt all that bad, but it really just comes and goes. Been pretty nice outside lately. Hope everything works out.

--Alex

When I was working for Buick in the early 80's the loose steering tilt bowls would take between 45 minutes to 1 hour to repair, but I was doing 2-3 a week. That was dependent on how easy the ignition rack & sector aligned. Last year I did this repair on my 88 it took me two hours, I forgot all the little tricks of the trade. There are three special tools, the steerig wheel puller, the lock plate depressor and the tilt pin puller.

$150 would be cheap, but this is one of those jobs that you need to be mechanically inclined. There are several places you could break something removing it and when the switch bowl is removed, some parts just fall to the floor. thes epieces need to be realigned, and in some cases timed to be reinstalled properly.

Do a search, there is a lengthy thread, Remi & I wrote it about 5 years ago.

Boatwrench, thanks for the info. I just searched for your thread but couldn't find it.............if you have a link that would be very helpful. I have read a few procedures on how to dis-assemble the steering column but ultimately I won't know what sort of shape mine is in until I get in there and do it.

How common (and pricey) are the tools?

Oh, and Stallacrew, I called the dealership this morning and apparently the recall for the shifter linkage was taken care of, the only outstanding recall is for an O2 sensor. So I'm still looking for ideas as to how to fix that.......

Back