• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gears!

BTaylor

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Looking to put 4.56's in before Winterfest, AW4 and don't plan on going any bigger than 33s so I think its the best choice. My main question, has anyone went with this gear package from the Vendor section?

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1120588

Seems like the best price out there.

Hobag? My only concern with 4.88s is how it would drive at 60mph or so. I still drive mine a decent amount, put over 3k miles on it this year. Its my winter driver and dog hauler in the summer.

Hmm.. might just go that route then. I don't drive that fast THAT often, but didn't want it to be bad when I do. If 4.88's aren't all that bad I might just bump up to them, I guess it would help if for whatever reason I decided to try 35s down the road too.

No one here has tried that package from that vendor?

some question the pinion size when using 4.88 in a D30 but Sean uses 4.88 and had 33"s and it was awesome.
I'm not sure hobag sells that stuff anymore but id definitely check. if not Dave's off road supply is always a good person to PM for parts too. I got my gear package with lockers through RWK Haus and was happy with the transaction then I had hobag install them.

I did 4.56 in my LJ. Works fine. 4.88s will work good.

I bought that package you linked to a couple years ago.

I have a gear guy in Fort Wayne as well if it doesn't work out with Brian.

mac 'drives like a porche' gyvr

some question the pinion size when using 4.88 in a D30 but Sean uses 4.88 and had 33"s and it was awesome.
I'm not sure hobag sells that stuff anymore but id definitely check. if not Dave's off road supply is always a good person to PM for parts too. I got my gear package with lockers through RWK Haus and was happy with the transaction then I had hobag install them.

I think people are becoming more educated concerning that argument.

out of the 4.88 gear failures ive seen, more of them are stripped ring gears than busted pinions. and when I seen stripped ring gears... its usually associated with a stock carrier and spiders or a lunchbox locker. I think the bigger killer of 4.88s is ring gear deflection, not specifically the smaller pinion. a truss, full case locker, and/or stout diff cover all do a lot for reducing ring gear deflection.

I think people are becoming more educated concerning that argument.

out of the 4.88 gear failures ive seen, more of them are stripped ring gears than busted pinions. and when I seen stripped ring gears... its usually associated with a stock carrier and spiders or a lunchbox locker. I think the bigger killer of 4.88s is ring gear deflection, not specifically the smaller pinion. a truss, full case locker, and/or stout diff cover all do a lot for reducing ring gear deflection.

Couldn't agree more. I hate stock open carriers now.

I'm just now getting into this, still learning Jeeps as I go... I just have lunchbox style (Aussie) both front and rear with stock carrier. Definitely not in the cards to upgrade or replace everything around them if that would be recommended with going to 4.88s. If the 4.56s seem to be less prone to hurting anything I'd definitely rather go that route.

Jeep noob out.

I'm pretty sure that's the package I got. I have 456s with lunch boxes in front and rear. Been working pretty well imo.

I'm just now getting into this, still learning Jeeps as I go... I just have lunchbox style (Aussie) both front and rear with stock carrier. Definitely not in the cards to upgrade or replace everything around them if that would be recommended with going to 4.88s. If the 4.56s seem to be less prone to hurting anything I'd definitely rather go that route.

Jeep noob out.

at the very least buy in an aftermarket diff cover to protect your investment.

Back