• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gears again

cherowagon said:
anybody have experience with the 5spd? the new rubicons come with 4.10's and 31's. guys are jumping to 33's no problem.

The Rubicons are geared differently. They have a really low 1st (4.46:1 or 4.04:1) dep. on the model, and a 4:1 low range with 4:10 axle gears. The rest of the ratios are lower than ax-15 too. They are made to crawl from the factory. That's why guys can go 33's without any issues:)

Did any chucklehead ask what axle he has? If you've got a ax15 trans you probably are driving a early to mid 90's XJ. Ding Ding Ding, chances are he has an 8.25. With the Chrysler axle, 4.56 is as low as you can go. With 33's, your topspeed is 65 unless you like screamin it down the highway.
Gear calculators are good for wiping in the bathroom.

I'm sort of stuck in the same situation. I have 4.0, auto with stock gears with an 8.25 and 31s. I know I will get 33s in the future, but will not go above that. I'll be buying gears in like 2 months... 4.10s or 4.56... too bad 4.27 isn't in reverse cut. That would solve everything.

this is the easiest solution: get a ford 8.8" with some 4.88's in it, get the matching gear set for the front dana 30, and call it a day. If you buy 4.56 gears or 4.11, you WILL want lower gears eventually (when those 33's are no longer big enough) and then you will have spent all that money for gears and lockers that are no longer upgradable with the 8.25.

i've got a 95 w/ a 5sp and i'm planning on swapping in a 44 with 4.88's with a detroit in the rear and a truetrac in the front in the next month or so. i'm on 31's now, but 33's are inevitable and 35's are probable in the future. regear once and do it right. make your decision wisely.

exactly what fuel90 said, but dont invest in an axle which has limited options like the 8.25". Not saying it is bad, but only goes to 4.56 and doesn't have too many locker options yet. Do yourself a favor and buy an 8.8 or 44 with discs and gears already and save yourself the dough down the road. Remember, if you build an 8.25" and then want to go lower to 4.88, you have to buy a new axle, resize the driveshaft, get new shock mounts, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, get the picture...

Back