• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gearing... For deep rocks, 5 speed...

It's hard to gear really low for a manual on a budget. I started wheeling 7 years ago with a 91' YJ 4.0L with 33" MT and the stock 3.07 gearing and it really sucked. End result was I got stuck in a big mud/water hole and hydro locked the motor.

The AW4 is hard to beat when on a budget and it is a really strong tranny as well and cheap. Get Brett's bling bling shift kits and shift it manually if you want. He has many options available like paddles, arcade joy stick, rotary switch etc.

The cheapest of the t-cases would be a NV241 Rock Track, I got mine for $1,100 on ebay and sold my NP231 with a SYE for $500 on ebay so it was a $600 upgrade. The Rubicon owner decided to strip out the axles and t-case and build bigger...why not start with a plain jane TJ and save??? Some people have more $ than they know what to do with.

Bottom line, if you want to save don't be 1st to bat on the latest and greatest (Stak 3 speed case) and don't be afraid to buy good used parts, just try to make sure they are good used parts. Now that many people are getting the Stak 3 speed, you should be able to find good deals on Atlas, NV241, D300, etc because the Stak beats them all with it's 3 speeds.

On a side note, I was debating buying your XJ Opie, but I have a 98' 2 dr I decided to keep and I got it for $2,500 so I cannot justify selling it and I just like the newer 97' XJ styling anyways both in and out.

Last edited:
Big Red said:
It's hard to gear really low for a manual on a budget. I started wheeling 7 years ago with a 91' YJ 4.0L with 33" MT and the stock 3.07 gearing and it really sucked. End result was I got stuck in a big mud/water hole and hydro locked the motor.

The AW4 is hard to beat when on a budget and it is a really strong tranny as well and cheap. Get Brett's bling bling shift kits and shift it manually if you want. He has many options available like paddles, arcade joy stick, rotary switch etc.

The cheapest of the t-cases would be a NV241 Rock Track, I got mine for $1,100 on ebay and sold my NP231 with a SYE for $500 on ebay so it was a $600 upgrade. The Rubicon owner decided to strip out the axles and t-case and build bigger...why not start with a plain jane TJ and save??? Some people have more $ than they know what to do with.

Bottom line, if you want to save don't be 1st to bat on the latest and greatest (Stak 3 speed case) and don't be afraid to buy good used parts, just try to make sure they are good used parts. Now that many people are getting the Stak 3 speed, you should be able to find good deals on Atlas, NV241, D300, etc because the Stak beats them all with it's 3 speeds.

On a side note, I was debating buying your XJ Opie, but I have a 98' 2 dr I decided to keep and I got it for $2,500 so I cannot justify selling it and I just like the newer 97' XJ styling anyways both in and out.

Thanks for telling me absoultely nothing...
and reccomending options that I had previously described as not wanting...

I should have used TSF before reading your post...

XJ_ranger said:
Thanks for telling me absoultely nothing...
and reccomending options that I had previously described as not wanting...

I should have used TSF before reading your post...

You ask questions you know the answer to.

My stating to stay away from the new stuff if you are on a budget and get what others are selling when they migrate up is good advise. Many people, myself included, were able to build their rigs on a budget (getting 35's when people want 37's...getting a Atlas when people want the Stak 3 speed case etc).

Also you cannot beat having a automatic for Rock Crawling, in regards to staying to a budget. Brett's nice shift kit makes it into a manual if you want without the clutch to wear out.

You are not going to be able to get around 100:1 gearing unless you spend the $, it all depends on how much, but don't expect to buy new parts like a new Atlas, Stak, etc and not break the bank.

Why didn't you go with 5.38 in your HP44 & 5.43 gears in your 9" if you wanted more gearing? I know you're sticking to 33's might have been the reason behind it, but now you spent the $ on gears and could have been a little deeper for offroading. Also why build full width Hp44/9" if you are only staying with 33's, that's why overkill.

You'd be better off building a rig no holds bar and getting a cheap reliable Honda, or some other Jap car as your dd. Of course getting good t-case gearing will not hurt you anyways, but it will sure cost you.

And trying to hit the big trails and also trying to rely on that same vehicle to get you to work, etc is asking for trouble and is very expensive and stressful. Take that one to the bank Opie. :)

Last edited:
Troy -

What are you doing Saturday?

Id much rather explain myself to you in person, where I think I may have a better chance of getting through...

lets wheel Strawberry...

ok?

XJ_ranger said:
Troy -

What are you doing Saturday?

Id much rather explain myself to you in person, where I think I may have a better chance of getting through...

lets wheel Strawberry...

ok?

I would really like to wheel with you, thanks for the invite, but I'll be in Monterey/Carmel this weekend on vacation with my wife and 2 little dogs. I'm in the middle of selling my townhouse and buying a new house for the past month or so and need to get away (out of Sacto for a weekend). I will probably not be wheeling till October/November at this point. Since when are you back up here in Norcal? I thought you and Phil were still in Socal sailing all the time and working on your rigs. :laugh3:

Peace out bro. I'm not trying to come across as I know it all. I understand the frustrastion of getting your gearing right with a manual and having a dual purpose rig (wheeler/dd). I never was able to do this. Maybe I can sell you my 87' XJ for $1,000 or so and you can have your dd and then keep your XJ now as your all out wheeler. I look forward to wheeling with you in the future, sorry if I come across badly online.

Big Red said:
You ask questions you know the answer to.

My stating to stay away from the new stuff if you are on a budget and get what others are selling when they migrate up is good advise. Many people, myself included, were able to build their rigs on a budget (getting 35's when people want 37's...getting a Atlas when people want the Stak 3 speed case etc).

Also you cannot beat having a automatic for Rock Crawling, in regards to staying to a budget. Brett's nice shift kit makes it into a manual if you want without the clutch to wear out.

You are not going to be able to get around 100:1 gearing unless you spend the $, it all depends on how much, but don't expect to buy new parts like a new Atlas, Stak, etc and not break the bank.

Why didn't you go with 5.38 in your HP44 & 5.43 gears in your 9" if you wanted more gearing? I know you're sticking to 33's might have been the reason behind it, but now you spent the $ on gears and could have been a little deeper for offroading. Also why build full width Hp44/9" if you are only staying with 33's, that's why overkill.

You'd be better off building a rig no holds bar and getting a cheap reliable Honda, or some other Jap car as your dd. Of course getting good t-case gearing will not hurt you anyways, but it will sure cost you.

And trying to hit the big trails and also trying to rely on that same vehicle to get you to work, etc is asking for trouble and is very expensive and stressful. Take that one to the bank Opie. :)

Your racial slurs are not welcome here.

Jes said:
Your racial slurs are not welcome here.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
That's a serious acquisation, are you so sure about me? It's interesting how others interpret what I say.

I said Jap to abbreviate Japanese, I'm not again Japanese vehicles or people, I'll make sure to write my disclaimer next time.

I'm as easy going and non racial as they come. I don't know what you are talking about Jes??? Stop starting trouble, we don't need to play the race card here!!!!!

I'm a Jehovah's Witness so I don't know what you are talking about, all races are bro's to me bud. :)

A lot of negative things have been said about me on this website, but racist shouldn't be one of them.

Last edited:
BrettM said:
so you admit the rest are true? good enough for me...

Wow you are sure easy going. Glad I could help. :D

You can be anything in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited:
Big Red said:

I've been doing that the last couple years, and so has Jes. What's the REAL issue here? :yelclap:

-Mike

Back